VM won't always reboot via UEFI in FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaheed Haque

Dabbler
I have a clean install of FreeNAS 11, running a VM (K/ubuntu 17.04). If I reboot the VM, for example using the reboot command from inside the VM, the restarted instance ends up stuck at the UEFI shell prompt.

I'm not particularly familiar with that environment, but even with a bit of Googling, I was not able to reboot into Kubuntu. I eventually reattached the .iso CD to the VM, and when it booted, used the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair tool. At that point, removing the CD, and a "bhyvectl --vm=v_baba --force-reset" got Kubuntu going again.

I've now found myself in this state several times:

- Multiple times while trying to get the VM going under the original clean FreeNAS 11 install
- A couple of times after the update to FreeNAS-11.0-U1 (aa82cc58d) a few nights ago

but not all reboot attempts end this way; several attempts to repro this using various ways to restart the VM have worked just fine too. The boot-repair tool is also consistently able to recover the situation.

Is there any data I can provide that might help track down this very annoying issue?

Thanks, Shaheed

eldo

Explorer

Shaheed Haque

Dabbler
I found this thread with the key answer:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-boot-ubuntu-desktop-vm-in-uefi-mode.53863

The crucial missing step in my case was the need to disable Secure Boot in the boot-repair tool, which promptedme through a series of steps which replaced grub-<whatever> with grub-efi. This was different than before, where the boot-repair tool ran but did not result in a fix which worked across both reboots/power-cycles.
Thanks, Shaheed

@eldo, I'll post this snippet to the thread you kindly pointed me to.

eldo

Explorer
Glad you got it worked out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.