VM Windows 10 Drivers / Guest Tools

cpu2k6

Dabbler
I installed Windows 10 on a VM in SCALE-21.02-ALPHA.1
For the NIC i chose VirtIO. I was able to install the driver for the NIC with the virtio-win-0.1.190 ISO.

But there seems to be no driver for VNC, because i can't change the the screen resolution on the guest system. It's only 800x600 and tiny on a 4k display.
Is there a guest-tools suite available? I can't find any documentation on this.

With the virtio-win-0.1.190 ISO i was able to install windows 10 on an unraid WM without any issues.

Please advise.
Thanks

oumpa31

Patron
I did the same in that version you should be able to right click like it was an actual computer and set the resolution. In the more recent versions of the nightly's you can set the VNC resolutions like previously in core.

cpu2k6

Dabbler
I tried that, but the setting is grayed out. "Screen Resolution 800 x 600"
Also in the display modes is only "800x600, True Color (32bit) 64 Herz" listed.

oumpa31

Patron
I know there has been a lot of updates done to this in the nightly's getting ready for the next release. So if you can wait till scale 21.04 is released those options will be fixed or if nothin is mission critical switch to the nightly's which are almost every 4 hour updates now. lol

cpu2k6

Dabbler
I'll wait until 21.04 is released.
I could go nightly, I have backups, but it would be a pain to transfer it back again.
Anyway, thanks for your posts!

brandonneur

Cadet
I installed Windows 10 on a VM in SCALE-21.02-ALPHA.1
For the NIC i chose VirtIO. I was able to install the driver for the NIC with the virtio-win-0.1.190 ISO.

But there seems to be no driver for VNC, because i can't change the the screen resolution on the guest system. It's only 800x600 and tiny on a 4k display.
Is there a guest-tools suite available? I can't find any documentation on this.

With the virtio-win-0.1.190 ISO i was able to install windows 10 on an unraid WM without any issues.

Please advise.
Thanks
disclaimer: i have not tried any SCALE install yet but am familiar with KVM...

are you by chance using Q35 UEFI for your VM? I found that in KVM environment when using Q35 I had the same issues as you describe inside the running VM. the fix for me was in the UEFI BIOS pre-boot setup there are some configuration options such as defining boot disk, etc. one of the menus in the setup is for default resolution. in my case it kept defaulting to 640x480. once i changed there it carried over to the VM post-boot. i also found that i could set the resolution correctly via RDP even though I could not via VNC. anyway, just throwing it out in case it helps!