VM booting stuck in UEFI shell after being powered down

Apollo

Wizard
Hi guys,

I have been installing Debian 9 as a Virtual Machine and everything is peachy until I decide to power off the VM.
Upon restart of the VM, it gets stuck in the UEFI Shell.
I have done a few other VM install with different OS'es and all of them failed after a while. I thought the issue was related to the various Freenas updates, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Any idea where to look to solve this issue?

Attachments

• VM_UEFI.png
    VM_UEFI.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 790

scrappy

Patron

Apollo

Wizard
@scrappy, Thanks. I am able to boot into Debian manually. I just need to make it permanent.

KrisBee

Wizard
Looks like you might need this:

For Debian 9 use expert install and answer "YES" when ask to "Force grub-efi installation to the removable media path". Or, post install don't try copying files around, just use this command:

grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --boot-directory=/boot --removable

Apollo

Wizard
Hi Guys,
I was doing some testing on setting up Debian 10 on Virtualbox on my Windows 10 PC as I am trying to setup various Apache based features such as Subversion Server and phpMyAdmin with support for MariaDB, when I cam across this interesting scenario.
By default, I was looking at the minimalistic install of Debian 9 or 10 without Desktop interface, but relying only on the Web server and SSH install.
It turns out, if I end up not installing the Desktop interface, then GRUB will not be able to install itself and starting the VM after a reboot will not cause the server to start on its own.
However if the Desktop interface has been selected then GRUB install will follow and it would seem the VM will be able to start without user intervention. I need to validate this portion, but so far it seems to be working.
Also, for the record, it seems only resolution for 800x600 is the only option to choose from which will allow proper rendering of the install dialog.

tux-box1

Dabbler
I'm having trouble getting into the efi shell, I'm used to other hypervisors where you can force "bios" on boot or "uefi config" on boot.
does anyone know how to do this with TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1?