VDEV design recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nvious1

Explorer
I am working on a new freenas build and in this build I will have 24 x 512 GB SSDs and also 24 x 480 GB SSDs. These are repurposed from an old all flash array from work. I want it to be a RaidZ2 Pool and I am not sure how to best group my drives into vdevs. Please let me know your recommendations.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I would suggest eight drives in each vdev. Total of six vdevs. Theoretically, you will have a bottleneck at the drive controller. Generally speaking, twelve SSDs is enough to fully saturate the PCIe bus link to the controller card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So, there's a terminology problem here. "I want it to be a RAID-Z2 pool". Pools are not RAID-Z2. Only vdev's are.

Are you saying, you want your pool to consist entirely of RAID-Z2 vdevs? If so, what Chris is suggesting is fine. But, I am forced to ask, on what basis have you determined that you will be using RAID-Z2 vdevs? With so many drives, why are RAID-Z3 vdevs a possibility for you?

Nvious1

Explorer
Thanks Chris for the recommendation.

@DrKK sorry for the terminology mix up. Reason for going with RaidZ2 is planning on using it mostly for backup / file share type store and would like to have the happy medium of disk failure tolerance and maximizing the size. Yeah I do have alot of disks but their sizes are small. If they were all 2 TB disks I would go Z3 for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.