Utilize boot disk for Storage purpose somehow possible?

T-One

Cadet
Hello,

i know the boot device is not meant to be used as a storage device but i use a 250G SSD for it and I waste so much space and watts.
I only have one pool with 4x 8TB disks and the "System Dataset" as well as the IoCage points to this pool, so my drives are always working, they never go to sleep.
My idea was to partition the boot device into 50 GB for Truenas and 200 GB for the "System Dataset" and then work with snapshots to backup it up.

Is this somehow possible via CLI or really a no go and i should stop thinking about it?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello,

i know the boot device is not meant to be used as a storage device but i use a 250G SSD for it and I waste so much space and watts.
I only have one pool with 4x 8TB disks and the "System Dataset" as well as the IoCage points to this pool, so my drives are always working, they never go to sleep.
My idea was to partition the boot device into 50 GB for Truenas and 200 GB for the "System Dataset" and then work with snapshots to backup it up.

Is this somehow possible via CLI or really a no go and i should stop thinking about it?

Its not supported today, but it is something that maybe should be considered at a some point. Suggest you create a Suggestion ticket on jira.ixsystems.com and we'll see if it gets some traction to push it higher onto our stack.

Redcoat

MVP