Using FreeNAS volume on another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I am brand new to this wonderful world of FreeNAS and I have some questions:

Suppose I have a USB device used as a media storage for my FreeNAS. But now I have decide to take it out of my FreeNAS server and plug it on another computer (a normal desktop computer, not running FreeNAS) so I can access my content.

1 - Will the new computer recognize the hard drive? Or is the hard drive formatted in a way that only FreeNAS operating systems would recognize it?

2 - Whenever I add a new USB to be used as storage on my NAS, I've noticed that the operating system completely erases/formats it so that it can be used as a fresh storage disk. But what if the USB comes from a previous NAS server, and I would like to still have access to the files? How do I add the USB to the new NAS without wiping out the data?

3 - How does encryption play a role in this? Will I be prompted for a password as soon as the device is recognized by the operating system?

Thanks for your help,
Vitor

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
not running FreeNAS
What OS? There's no chance in hell of mounting ZFS on Windows, but Linux and FreeBSD should work fine.
2 - Whenever I add a new USB to be used as storage on my NAS, I've noticed that the operating system completely erases/formats it so that it can be used as a fresh storage disk. But what if the USB comes from a previous NAS server, and I would like to still have access to the files? How do I add the USB to the new NAS without wiping out the data?
You can't use non-ZFS storage with FreeNAS, other than to import data to an existing ZFS pool.
3 - How does encryption play a role in this? Will I be prompted for a password as soon as the device is recognized by the operating system?
That's quite a can of worms.

It sounds like you haven't read Cyberjock's guide, which you are strongly encouraged to do. Link is in my sig.

Stux

MVP

Arwen

MVP
Probably okay for backing up your FreeNAS data tho
Yes, attaching a USB drive for backups is likely going to work okay.
But, not permanently attached. And for me, I'd use ZFS on the external
drive just so that I can check for errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.