USB Disconnects During Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmiller1919

Dabbler
I am new to Freenas and trying to install 9.10.2-U3 to a flash drive. I burned the ISO to a DVD and have a SanCruzer Fit 8GB flash drive. Booting to the DVD and trying to install onto the flash drive. The first thing that happens is it doesn't recognize that it is over 4gb and gives me a warning. The minute it goes to try and start installing I get the disconnected messages. I am using an HP desktop to do the install. Any help would be appreciated.

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
Are you using two of those flash drives? Make sure you're pointing the installation to the correct device and not the one you're booting from.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
hardware specs? How is the usb connected? can you try installing to a small ssd or something different?

jsmiller1919

Dabbler
Just using an HP 4300 i3 with 4GB of ram. I have the hard drive disconnected and booting to the FreeNas ISO with only one SanDisk 8GB flash drive. The flash drive is the only device showing up to install to.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Just using an HP 4300 i3 with 4GB of ram. I have the hard drive disconnected and booting to the FreeNas ISO with only one SanDisk 8GB flash drive. The flash drive is the only device showing up to install to.
Start by having the required minimum specs for your system. You can go research that on your own.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

S

sef

There are a few thumb drives that FreeBSD doesn't work with. They show up as having 0 bytes, usually.

Vito Reiter

I think you're attempting to install to the same USB you're booting from. FreeNAS install does list ALL devices connected, including the one you have the ISO on. You should see 2 flash drives come up (The one booted from, and the one installing to), at which point you'd choose the blank one. If you want to mirror USB's, once it's installed you can format the one with the ISO and mirror it through the GUI with the FreeNAS boot USB.

Vito Reiter

No, it doesn't.

Out of the several times I've installed FreeNAS, my install USB and the one being installed to has always been listed? I thought it was strange but, at the very least, it happens with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.