Urbackup / BackupPC on TrueNAS SCALE 23.x

DieterH

Cadet
one of my customer has a NAS box, running under FreeNAS, with two jails, one for Urbackup and another one for BackupPC. My plan is to migrate from FreeNAS to TrueNAS SCALE 23.x (because a) it's more Debian-like, and b) FreeNAS is no longer supported), and also installing Urbackup and BackupPC.

The NAS box has 3 hard disks (one for system) and two other disk which are mirrored (each of these disk has 9 TB disk capacity which is enough for this customer).

Visiting Urbackup website, they refer to old FreeNAS and of course recommend to install Urbackup in a jail. Unfortunately I did not find reliable information for my plan (see above). Therefore I have some questions:
1. Does TrueNAS SCALE 23.x support jails?
2. Are jails needed for Urbackup and BackupPC?
3. Does TrueNAS SCALE 23.x support docker (for Urbackup and BackupPC)?
4. Who did already install Urbackup and BackupPC on TrueNAS SCALE?

I'd appreciate very much if you could answer my questions. Please feel free to provide more information (e.g. about "Don't" and "Do").

Best regards
Dieter

Very good post but seems like there is very litttle quality information out there for urbackup on truenas core or scale in general. Long posts, lots of problems, apps breaking on Scale in general. Just doesnt seem like an ideal time to set upt jails or apps on scale or core. Hope you will get some informaction because I'm looking for the exact same answers. google luck!

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, SCALE does not support jails.
It does not support Docker as such, but it does support running Docker containers of your choice using the Custom App feature. I have Urbackup running this way, and it seems to be working reasonably well. There's an app available for Backuppc, but since its last release is almost four years ago, and its last commit over two years ago, I don't have much confidence that it's still a viable project.

Jolly

Cadet
one of my customer has a NAS box, running under FreeNAS, with two jails, one for Urbackup and another one for BackupPC. My plan is to migrate from FreeNAS to TrueNAS SCALE 23.x (because a) it's more Debian-like, and b) FreeNAS is no longer supported), and also installing Urbackup and BackupPC.

The NAS box has 3 hard disks (one for system) and two other disk which are mirrored (each of these disk has 9 TB disk capacity which is enough for this customer).

Visiting Urbackup website, they refer to old FreeNAS and of course recommend to install Urbackup in a jail. Unfortunately I did not find reliable information for my plan (see above). Therefore I have some questions:
2. Are jails needed for Urbackup and BackupPC?
4. Who did already install Urbackup and BackupPC on TrueNAS SCALE?

I'd appreciate very much if you could answer my questions. Please feel free to provide more information (e.g. about "Don't" and "Do").

Best regards
Dieter
I've got it mostly working, but still muddling through some config issues.

It has saved me once already!