UPS service does not start properly on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken76

Dabbler
I have just upgraded to 9.2.1.5-x64 eager to see if my problem with the UPS was solved.
Unfortunately it was not and since I couldn't find another post on this subject, here's my bug report.

I have configured FreeNAS to connect to an APC Smart-UPS RT 2000 RM XL equipped with a AP9630 Network Management Card 2.

The problem is the UPS service does not start properly upon boot. I keep getting the message:
upsmon: connect failed (see attached picture). The web interface says the service is running but there's no communication with the UPS.

Now, if the service was not configured correctly, things would not work flawlessly after I restart the service. But they do!

I have done a "ps ax" after boot (see attached ps-1.txt) and again after I restarted the UPS service from the web interface (see ps-2.txt). There seems to be a process that was not running after boot:
Code:
4374 ??  Ss    0:00.01 /usr/local/libexec/nut/snmp-ups -a UPS2

Attachments

• 9.2.1.5-x64.JPG
    9.2.1.5-x64.JPG
    502 KB · Views: 308
  • ps-1.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 260
  • ps-2.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 233

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you post your hardware specs for your server?

Chicken76

Dabbler
  • CPU: AMD FX-4300 (3.8 GHz, socket AM3+)
  • Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR3-1333 ECC (2×4 GB Kingston unbuffered ECC)
  • Hard drives: 3 x 3TB WD30EZRX (RAID-Z)
  • Network cards: Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T2

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh... AMD. I have no recommendations :( AMD's cause weird unexplained problems that seem to not depend on anything. Even if you were Intel I'm not sure what my recommendation would be, especially since you are the only one with this problem.

Chicken76

Dabbler
What scripts control the UPS service? I'll have a look and maybe I can find out why it's not starting up properly at boot time.

DJ9

Contributor
Might want to try using apcupsd, since that's specifically used for APC UPS's.

tomelgato

Cadet
Post your ups configpage (from freenas).

Have it running here with a AP9617 card. From the error msg it looks like upsd cannot connect to the card cause of access rights!?

IonutZ

Contributor
hey I'm curious if you ever found a resolution to this... I'm using snmp-ups for a Smart UPS SUA3000XL with an AP9617 and when I trigger a shutdown I get "Communications with UPS APC lost" before it gets a SHUTDOWN signal from the UPS... polling at 5s. And I've encountered your issue as well... UPS service is running on boot, "connection refused" and if I turn off and on the service from FreeNAS Web GUI it starts working... (on 9.2.1.7 here)

Status
Not open for further replies.