Upgrading issue from 8.0.2 to 8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo444

Explorer
Hi, All,

I am new here and I have a question about ZFS. I actually upgraded from 8.0.2 to 8.3. But I got yellow light and the message says like

"The volume DATA (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format. The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions."

I guess that this is because the system has been upgraded. (ZFS version has also been upgraded) However, I am concerned that the old data should be deleted if I upgrade to pool by using "zpool upgrade"? Is that right? Or I can ignore this message?? Or I need to upgrade with some ways?

Sorry, the question might be posted on this forum, but I'm very happy if you let me know.

Thanks & regards,

joeschmuck

Old Man
The yellow alert light is telling you that your pool should be upgraded but it was not automatically upgraded. This is done intentionally so that a user can try 8.3.0 and still go back to a previous version. You can run like this if you like but if you think you will be staying with 8.3.0 then you need to open the shell and type "zpool upgrade". It take a few seconds and it's done, you will have upgraded from ZFS V15 to ZFS V28. The alert will eventually go away or you can reboot to clear it faster.

bravo444

Explorer
Hi, Joeschmuck,

Thank you very much for your quick response. Your answer is very clear. Let me ask you one more thing please.
The data should not be deleted or moved if I upgrade to ZFS V28 right?

Thanks & regards,

joeschmuck

Old Man
No, you will not loose any data but you will not be able to return to a previous version if you make the upgrade without recreating the pool.

Of course you should alway have your data backed up before you make any change but this is one of those changes that I have not heard a single complaint about data loss. It updated the ZFS version of software not the data itself. Goes very quick and you might even think it went too quick.

bravo444

Explorer
Thank you very much! Sure, I will update the ZFS.

Many thanks!!

Thanks & regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.