Upgrading FreeNAS 9.10 to 11.something with encrypted harddrives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zensig

Dabbler
As I understand it for me to be able to upgrade to newer version of FreeNAS (says 11.2 is stable in GUI Update but Forums here say otherwise) I have to decrypt 16TB of data. Update to 11.something & then encrypt 16TB of data?!

Since I know from experience (when 9.x update nuked USB, was listed as bugfix in later update) that all it takes is to copy the keyfile to the correct folder to be able to unlock drives with the password it doesn't seem very complicated for the Update to handle that without days of decrypting/encrypting? Or am I missing something?

BTW Resilio Sync needs an update in the Plugins repository.

Zensig

Dabbler
Did you try your upgrade?
Nope, I'm not decrypting & encrypting 16TB of data. Staying on 9.10 until there's a way to upgrade without doing that. Considering the deafening silence on the subject of encrypted drives it might be forever :-(

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your understanding is not correct.

You must always have a backup of both your keys (the regular one used with the password and the recovery key). Upgrades or no upgrades. There is literally no "decrypting & encrypting", you only need to have your keys.

Zensig

Dabbler
Your understanding is not correct.

You must always have a backup of both your keys (the regular one used with the password and the recovery key). Upgrades or no upgrades. There is literally no "decrypting & encrypting", you only need to have your keys.

I had another look at the upgrade info (last I looked at it was when v11 was released). Either it has changed or I misunderstood the "decrypt" part where they actually mean unlock the drives not decrypt them.

So if I've understood it correctly what needs to be done is:

1. Have copies of the keyfile & recovery key
2. Do upgrade
3. Quit after upgrade Wizard
4. Import/unlock pool
5. Run after upgrade Wizard

Correct?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
3. Quit after upgrade Wizard
I'm not sure what you mean by that. There's no wizard per se, your system should just be back up after two reboots the same way it would be without the update, but updated.

Zensig

Dabbler
I'm not sure what you mean by that. There's no wizard per se, your system should just be back up after two reboots the same way it would be without the update, but updated.

It's from the Upgrade manual, 2.5.1 Caveats
  • The Wizard does not recognize an encrypted ZFS pool. If the ZFS pool is GELI-encrypted and the Wizard starts after the upgrade, cancel the Wizard and use the instructions in Importing an Encrypted Pool to import the encrypted volume. The Wizard can be run afterward for post-configuration. It will then recognize that the volume has been imported and not prompt to reformat the disks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ah, that's the first-time setup wizard. I think you never want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.