Upgrading array, need advice on data migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Straxxus

Cadet
As the title says, im upgrading my current drive array to something with more storage. I currently have 4x 1tb drives, and im looking to go to 4x3tb drives. The main concern i have is how to move the data from the old array to the new one, as ive mostly filled it up, and only have 1 sata port left on my mobo. I was thinking i could probably plug one of the new 3tb drives in, move the data to it, remove the 4 old drives, and put the other 3 new drives in. after that id just turn the single drive into a raidz1. would that work?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Replace the drives, one at a time, with larger drives, following the instructions in the manual. The array will expand when the last drive is replaced.

Straxxus

Cadet
Replace the drives, one at a time, with larger drives, following the instructions in the manual. The array will expand when the last drive is replaced.
Huh, guess I didn't read the manual thoroughly enough to find the upgrade instructions, thanks!

gpsguy

You can download PDF versions of the manual, if you find it easier to use. See the link in my signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Status
Not open for further replies.