Upgrade to Newer/Bigger Disks

benji0001

Dabbler
How do I upgrade to newer/bigger disks? I am currently running the (5) WD Red-Pro 3TB disks in a raidz1-0. The system states 9.57TiB (91%) used/ 1001.22GiB Free. I am running FreeNAS 11.2 and the Plex media server is at 9.2. I cant run any updates because I am out of space. I was looking at upgrading to the WD Red Pro 6TB. Can someone help me on this.

jlw52761

Explorer
Do you have any free drive slots? The safe way of upgrading is to, drive by drive, perform a replace and bring in the bigger drive, but if you don't have enough space in the pool to loose the drive you're replacing I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

Alecmascot

Guru

benji0001

Dabbler
Do you have any free drive slots? The safe way of upgrading is to, drive by drive, perform a replace and bring in the bigger drive, but if you don't have enough space in the pool to loose the drive you're replacing I'm pretty sure you can't do that.
Yes I do have one remaining drive slot available. Fingers crossed.

jlw52761

Explorer
Search the forums: asked many times. I did it a few times. Works great!

Sometimes it's a matter of what terms the person is searching for will lend different results. I try to be gentle about the "didn't you search first? You shouldn't be here if you didn't search first" mentality. Sometimes folks just need a nudge in the right direction, which was good with the link to the exact spot in the docs.

@benji0001 since you have a spare slot, you are good to go, just be aware that the resilver process could take some time, so plan accordingly. At least with the spare slot you are not introducing any risk, so that's good.