Upgrade FreeNAS while in degraded state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Just a quick question that I believe I know that answer to but want confirmation (or denial) from the community.

Currently my raidz2 vdev is degraded (as referenced here). The replacement drive has come but I will not have physical access to the system until next week. The system is currently running 9.10.1-U2

Question: Would it be ill-advised to update the degraded system to 9.10.1-U4 or should I just wait until I install the replacement and then update?

m0nkey_

MVP
Unless you're experiencing issues with U2, stick with it until your pool is in a normal state.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Thanks @m0nkey_ that is what I was leaning towards I just wanted to check there wasn't some obscure reasoning or unintuitive reason to upgrade. I'll wait until the pool is healthy again.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't think there's really a strong reason either way. The upgrades don't really touch the pool, so the degraded state of the pool wouldn't be a factor in the upgrade. OTOH, to the best of my memory, -U4 is minor patches over -U2, so there's unlikely to be a compelling reason to upgrade.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I wouldn't upgrade. Why take the possibility of introducing another variable until you have a known good working system.

Sakuru

Guru
I'm in a similar state. I'm waiting for a new drive to show up until I upgrade from U2 to U4. The last time one of these white label drives started throwing SMART errors it died completely when I turned off the system. I'm in no hurry to get to U4 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.