Update from 11.1 to 11.2

jmyrtle

Cadet
Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to FreeNAS, and I was curious to know how to upgrade from FreeNAS 11.1 to 11.2?

kdragon75

Wizard
Welcome to the forum! you will be happy to know that we have a comprehensive user guide that covers this information.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I was curious to know how to upgrade from FreeNAS 11.1 to 11.2?
Wait until 11.2 is at release. It is currently still in beta with the first release candidate made available a couple days ago. There are still bugs to be worked out and that's best left to those that choose to test.

jmyrtle

Cadet
Okay. So it's been 2 months now and I see that FreeNAS 11.2 is the current stable release with a new WUI (Web User Interface).
Is it safe for me to upgrade my current system from 11.1 and if so, how do I do it?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

danb35

Hall of Famer
On "how do I do it", the answer is the same as @kdragon75 gave you two months ago--read the manual. On "is it safe", I haven't seen many reports of significant problems with 11.2, but read the forums and draw your own conclusions.

Downloaded 11.2 (link in user guide (https://download.freenas.org/latest/) doesn't work) and used RUFUS to create a bootable USB stick. However, what I wound up with is a GPT, even though I asked for MBR/BIOS. A friend had the same experience. Created other bootable USBs from .isos with no problems, so the problem appears to be related to the FreeNAS download (FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1.iso). What am I missing?

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you're upgrading, which is what this thread is asking about, why are you downloading the ISO? If you do need to use the ISO for some reason, Rufus hasn't been working well lately--I'd suggest Etcher instead.

From : https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/install.html#upgrading
2.5. Upgrading

FreeNAS® provides flexibility for keeping the operating system up-to-date:
  1. Upgrades to major releases, for example from version 9.3 to 9.10, can still be performed using either an ISO or the web interface. Unless the Release Notes for the new major release indicate that the current version requires an ISO upgrade, either upgrade method can be used.
Does this imply an upgrade to a minor release cannot use the ISO? But whether you can or can't, why did I get the GPT stick? I'll try Etcher, though.

But originally, a friend lost his OS, somehow, and wanted to reinstall. He encountered this problem, winding up with an unbootable USB stick. I tried to see if I could make it work, and figured it would be a good time to upgrade anyway, but also had this problem.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does this imply an upgrade to a minor release cannot use the ISO?
I don't think it should (as you definitely can use the ISO for that purpose), but in almost all cases updating through the GUI (or the text console menu) will simply be a quicker and easier way to do it. But it certainly should work.
But whether you can or can't, why did I get the GPT stick?
Don't have a good answer to that, other than that I've seen several other reports of problems with Rufus, at least in dealing with the FreeNAS ISO.

Tried Etcher. Not sure what I've got yet, but Windows said:
1546959215947.png

Here's what I've got; consistent with RUFUS, fwiw:
1546959551426.png

UFS, GPT, or whatever, it won't boot.

I found from the RUFUS author that this particular ISO image is a hybrid (whatever that means), and is not supported by RUFUS, but you can write it as a DD image. It's also not even acknowledged as a "valid ISO" by Microsoft, so I think the FreeNAS folks has some 'splainin' to do. I haven't found a way to write a DD image in RUFUS either. I think I'm going to give up and use a CD or DVD.

Last edited:
I finally used a CD and the install went smoothly.

I've been upgrading regularly and am now running 11.2-U4.1 with no known problems.