SOLVED Update Firmware LSI2308 for supermicro X10SL7-F

Nico052020

Contributor
Hello to all,

I have a X10SL7-F card. I take advantage of the fact that my server is stopped to make some updates. BIOS, IPMI, and I wanted to update the firmware of the LSI2308 controller, but impossible to find this firmware. I found several links (on forums) to supermicro servers:
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/
https://www.supermicro.com/wftp/driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/
But these links don't give anything.

The last version that is mentioned on the forums is the version 20.00.07.00-IT which dates from 2017 (and I can't find it)

Maybe in 2022 there will be a new version ?

Can you help me please?
Regards

Be_Wise

Cadet
Hello to all, I have a X10SL7-F card. I take advantage of the fact that my server is stopped to make some updates. BIOS, IPMI, and I wanted to update the firmware of the LSI2308 controller, but impossible to find this firmware. I found several links (on forums) to supermicro servers: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/ https://www.supermicro.com/wftp/driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/ But these links don't give anything. The last version that is mentioned on the forums is the version 20.00.07.00-IT which dates from 2017 (and I can't find it) Maybe in 2022 there will be a new version ? Can you help me please? Regards

Hi,

Spent myself few hours trying to locate the firmware today.

Currently SAS2308 controller firmware is here: https://www.supermicro.com/wdl/driver/SAS/Broadcom/2308/

I don't think the Supermicro is going to update it anymore further, due outdated technology and probably Supermicro will completely discontinue the support soon. Even Broadcom (the successor of LSI) does not keep the firmware. So, download all version (IR, IR+, IT) and drivers if needed.

Good luck!

Nico052020

Contributor
Hello,
Thank you so much!!!
I don't know how you found it, I've spent hours on it the last few days too.

I know my motherboard is a little outdated. Thanks for the advice, I will download the firmwares.

Be_Wise

Cadet
Hello,
Thank you so much!!!
I don't know how you found it, I've spent hours on it the last few days too.

I know my motherboard is a little outdated. Thanks for the advice, I will download the firmwares.
Hi,

You are welcome, indeed ;) I was just bit luckier in my search.

I just got my hands on few X10SL7-F motherboards (despite the age all fully functional, and yes they are bit slow on bios star-up, but good enough for my purposes) and updating them, so like you, I was searching the internet through out for firmware to download. Also, during search came to your message and decided to share my search results. ;)

Good luck with updates!

Last edited:

Nico052020

Contributor
This is great news. Since this card is getting old, the issues surrounding it are starting to become clearer.
So I take the opportunity to ask you.
I have installed :
_the last BIOS firmware version (3.4)
_the last version of the BMC firmware (3.88)
_the last version of the LSI2308 firmware (20.00.07-IT) => not yet done

Do you see any other items to update on this motherboard?
regards

Last edited:

Nico052020

Contributor
On the link you provided, there is a "Firmware" directory and a "Drivers" directory. "Driver" Directory which itself contains the "Windows", "Linux", "UEFI" and "FreeBSD" directories
"Is there a difference?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The drivers are already in TrueNAS, you just need to flash the 20.00.07 firmware to match the drivers.

Be_Wise

Cadet
This is great news. Since this card is getting old, the issues surrounding it are starting to become clearer.
So I take the opportunity to ask you.
I have installed :
_the last BIOS firmware version (3.4)
_the last version of the BMC firmware (3.88)
_the last version of the LSI2308 firmware (20.00.07-IT) => not yet done

Do you see any other items to update on this motherboard?
regards
Hi,

As Jailer mentioned, you just need to update your SAS controller to 20.00.07-IT (do not forget to record SAS address what starts from 5003048xxxxxxxxx you will need it during firmware update) and if you are going to run TrueNAS on it, you do not need any drivers.

All the best

Last edited:

Nico052020

Contributor
Hello,

Well that's it, I managed to do the update. It's always a bit stressful. Everything went well.
I still have a question: what would have happened if I had put the last 9 characters of the SAS address wrong?
It would have refused the update?

So at firmware / hardware level there is nothing to do. I was thinking about this:
_ SATA controller
_ Intel C222 Express PCH
_ Dual Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports controller via Intel i210AT

If I understand correctly what you say Jailer, it is that after that it happens at the OS level and therefore for us Truenas

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I still have a question: what would have happened if I had put the last 9 characters of the SAS address wrong?
Nothing much, unless you were to end up with two or more devices with colliding SAS addresses, which would be bad, but fairly easy to fix.

Nico052020

Contributor
Is it possible to find the original address in the case of a false manipulation?
In any case, thank you to you.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You should have a label on the motherboard with the correct address.

Nico052020

Contributor
You are good!
That's right