Update 13.0-U1.1 to 13.U3.3 fails

I have made several attempts to update from 13.0-U1.1 to 13.0-U3 with no success. The install seems to progress to reboot, but the reboot fails to command prompt.

I seem to recall that I had a similar problem updating from 11 to the release version of 12, but my old brain can't recall the details of the solution. Something with SMB maybe?

Any suggestions where I should start looking?

spuky

Explorer
Have you tried doing the update from an Install-USB Stick (make a backup of your config just in case...)

Maybe the reboot is not working... so shutting down and booting the installer form USB-Stick could help

I knew about the reinstall but delayed using it because I wanted to see if I could figure out what was going on.

I finally tried install/upgrade from USB, but it failed.

This is a 5 Y/O stock Mini-XL that has been upgraded many times, so when I finally got around to a fresh format/install, I discovered that the boot pool was "freenas-default". So I reformated it (16GB SATA-DOM) and all was well.

I suspect that in the past 5 years, the boot pool feature flags may have changed, and the boot loader has most likely changed.

Anyway, all good.