Update 11.3 Zfs pool empty

Hi, today i have update freenas 11.2 to latest. After reboot, my installed plugin was missed. I have installed qbittorrent and freenas ask "Choose Pool for Plugin and Jail Storage" i have selected zfs pool data (raidz). After that alle my files was Lost! My pool now Is empty... There are only users folder .. no images folder!
I have Lost all my sons photo!!! 3tb!!!
I am desperate! I've lost everything? Can anyone help me? is there any software i can buy to recover deleted files? thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Have you tried rebooting back into 11.2? See the Guide, Section 2.5.5. Your old boot environment should still be there.

Heracles

Wizard
Hey @Sandonanet s.n.c.

When people started migrating to FreeNAS 11.3, a lot of people ended up in that situation. For whatever reason, their data disappeared like yours. What they had in common also was that it affected only the live data, not the snapshots. So those with snapshots only had to rollback their snapshot and voilà : there data was back from there.

Do you have any snapshot from before the upgrade ?

Was your pool encrypted ?

Good luck with that,

Hi, thanks for your help.
I have not snapshot :-(
My pool was not encrypted.
Hey @Sandonanet s.n.c.

When people started migrating to FreeNAS 11.3, a lot of people ended up in that situation. For whatever reason, their data disappeared like yours. What they had in common also was that it affected only the live data, not the snapshots. So those with snapshots only had to rollback their snapshot and voilà : there data was back from there.

Do you have any snapshot from before the upgrade ?

Was your pool encrypted ?

Good luck with that,

Sorry, I reviewed the situation ... it didn't happen for the system update (it didn't update), yesterday I tried to reinstall the plugin qborrorrente (I was never able to log in, authentication error) and it gave me the error "Error: torrent had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: Stopped torrent due to VNET failure Partial plugin destroyed". I gave the shell command "iocage clean -a". I restarted the nas, I checked that the data was present and so far everything is ok (I also tried to copy into the files). At this point I tried to reinstall the plugin and I realized that all the plugins had been deleted. I tried to install the qbittorrent plugin again and asked me which datastore to install it on and I chose the data one. The plugin did not install ... and shortly thereafter I realized that my network shares gave access error. At this point I realized that the whole datastore was empty, and the folders present had just been created. As a fool I hadn't enabled snapshots. I have photos of a life inside, especially those of children. Can you help me? Thanks

some photos

Attachments

• folders.JPG
    folders.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 212
  • healthy.JPG
    healthy.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 207
  • pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 204
  • status.JPG
    status.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 205

Samuel Tai

I'm sorry, but there's nothing that can be done. You deleted everything when you ran iocage clean -a, and because you structured your data completely within the iocage dataset, iocage cleaned up everything within. There are no snapshots, so no recovery points.

Samuel Tai

If you had structured your data in a separate dataset outside the iocage dataset, and used jail mounts to make it available to plugins, then this wouldn't have happened.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing that can be done. You deleted everything when you ran iocage clean -a, and because you structured your data completely within the iocage dataset, iocage cleaned up everything within. There are no snapshots, so no recovery points.
Ok thanks. Do you know a professional recovery software that can help me?

Samuel Tai

I recently heard of Klennet, but have no experience with it.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my experience. I have tried various utily to recover the data. Among the various, I tried UFS Explorer Professional Recovery which allows, with the free version, to save files up to 768kb. Incredibly if I stopped the scan of the disks at less than 2% I was able to have the folder tree and save all the small files. If I let the disk scan complete, it found absolutely nothing. In addition, the program gave several errors in the application in the logs. The Klennet ZFS Recovery utility, much less graphical and very sparse in the menus, in the end gave optimal results and managed to find about 95% of the data (on 4TB). I hope my experience can serve others.

Samuel Tai

Glad you were able to recover most of your data.