Unifi Video in VM

TomRamakers

Cadet
Hello,

As a complete n00b on freenas and linux i hope to get some help here.

I installed Freenas 11 a few months ago, works like a charm. I run Unifi controller in a jail (thanks to a video guide on the forum) and plex server.
Since i am expanding my Ubiquiti products with camera surveilllance, a question comes to mind.

Instead of investing in a 350€ NVR for the cameras, will i be able to run unifi video controller on debian of ubuntu in a vm or jail ?
I rather invest in some more hdd's if the system will work.

What are the pro/cons for running a linux vm vs a nvr ?
Debian or Ubuntu ?
And... most important... will i be able to access the live feed from outside my network ? This works on Plex, but this needs to work on cameras as well.

System specs,

I7 3770, 16gb, 4x4Tb WD red, Freenas 11.0-u4
will be running up to 6 g3 cameras
Plex will be transcoding max 2 HD streams (and that will be rarely..mostly idle)

Thanks.

Tom Ramakers

TomRamakers

Cadet
I installed Ubuntu 16 in a VM with 1 cpu/2gb/2Tb. So far everythings works ok. Just when opening the vm i am limited to 1024x768..
Accessible over network and over 4g thru the unifi app.

thejamesk

Explorer
I installed Ubuntu 16 in a VM with 1 cpu/2gb/2Tb. So far everythings works ok. Just when opening the vm i am limited to 1024x768..
Accessible over network and over 4g thru the unifi app.

Hi

I'm trying to do the same however am going around in circles as Unifi Video appears to install onto my Ubuntu VM but not do anything/boot. What versions of the Unifi Video software and Ubuntu Server did you use that worked?

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/unifi-video-on-ubuntu-vm.74081/#post-515296