SOLVED Unable to use a VM: no polkit agent available

melonion

Dabbler
When I try to open the Serial Shell for a VM in TrueNAS Scale, I get this error popping up, for all different VM configurations:

error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
error: authentication unavailable: no polkit agent available to authenticate action 'org.libvirt.unix.manage'

I found this mentioned on non-TrueNAS threads, but procedures like https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Polkit shouldn't apply on SCALE, I guess.

Via Display I land in an UEFI Interactive Shell.

Perkelator

Cadet
I assume you set it up using a non-root account. If this is the case I had the same issue, you need to go into Credentials > Local Users then give the admin account the correct permission. libvirt-qemu libcier and kvm I think. I may be missing a few I am still trying to figure it out myself.

melonion

Dabbler
Thank you, that was it, plus forgot to add an ISO ;)

nightrave

Cadet
I assume you set it up using a non-root account. If this is the case I had the same issue, you need to go into Credentials > Local Users then give the admin account the correct permission. libvirt-qemu libcier and kvm I think. I may be missing a few I am still trying to figure it out myself.
I am sorry to pick up an old thread, but I have the same issue and am still quite new to Truenas. When you say " then give the admin account the correct permission" - what exactly do you mean? Credentials > Local Users> Admin but can't figure out what to do there with your instructions.

melonion

Dabbler
Assign the groups he mentioned above to the user