Unable to update applications on latest TN Scale

IndieCoopz

Explorer
I have just updated from TN Scale 23.10.1.1 to 23.10.1.3 and wanted to update my applications. Unfortunately nothing works after the update.

Navidrome shows me "time="2024-01-26T14:01:39Z" level=fatal msg="Failed to apply new migrations" error="ERROR go migration: \"20231209211223_alter_lyric_column.go\": failed to run go migration: disk I/O error: permission denied" in the pod log

and Emby "[EFAULT] Failed to upgrade App: Migration to 2.x.x is only allowed from 1.0.30 or higher"

After doing a rollback for both apps they are up and running again... All apps are installed and updated from official truenas chart catalog.

What has been screwed around here again? Updating the applications always worked without any problems in the previous Scale versions?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Zero of the fixes from 23.10.1.1 to 23.10.1.3 touched the apps or storage, it was all Enterprise improvements and a bug fix to networking.

This error is inside the containers though, so I'd be inclined to say its at least not directly related to the update. Have you looked at the permissions for those containers on-disk storage to see if anything has changed pre/post update though? Did you make any changes to the 23.10.1.1 base OS image? Those always get blown away on updating, and is one reason we caution so heavy against using 3rd party tools that may taint your environment.

Parish Mills

Dabbler
IndieCoopz, I haven't upgraded Scale in a few weeks, but I am experiencing the same issue with upgrading my Emby Server app. I had the same error message as you. Now what is different is that I was able to upgrade 15 other apps successfully. Only Emby failed to update.

Parish Mills

Dabbler
I haven't had any luck upgrading my existing Emby app (Truenas chart, not TrueCharts). I'm thinking it's Chart version issue, and you'll see why below.

MAIN APP
Name: emby2
App Version: 4.7.14.0
Chart Version: 1.0.29
Source: hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver

Catalog: TrueNAS
Train: charts

Error Message:
[EFAULT] Failed to upgrade App: Migration to 2.x.x is only allowed from 1.0.30 or higher

I ended up upgrading Truenas from 23.10.1 to 23.10.1.3. Didn't help with my app issue. For the record, I'm using 1 vdev and it's at 73%.

I decided to install another instance of Emby (named Emby-Discard) and set it to a different port. Normally I would assign custom storage for the config files and media locations, but for this I just kept all the defaults. I just wanted to see if there was any difference in the app or chart versions. I found 2 items different, which I've underlined above and below.

TEMPORARY INSTALL
Name: emby-discard
App Version: 4.7.14.0
Chart Version: 2.0.1
Source: emby.media, hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver, github.com/truenas/charts/tree/master/charts/emby

Catalog: TrueNAS
Train: charts

As you can see, both the chart versions and the sources are different. Both are from Truenas, and not Truecharts. Any idea on how to remedy this?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Well that sounds like a possible issue in the chart repo then. Please make sure to create a ticket here:

We'll have our Apps team take a look at it right away.

IndieCoopz

Explorer
I was able to update emby now. When you click on update, in the update window -> version to update i could choose from two different versions and the lower one did the emby and chart update. It seems that there is something wrong with the repo...

Last edited:

Parish Mills

Dabbler
It's working on my end now too! I saw the drop down option, installed it, and afterwards updated to the latest version. I'm now on both the current App Version (4.7.14.0) and current Chart Version (2.0.1).

Josetann

Cadet
Had issues trying to update Emby as well (though Emby itself stayed at 4.7.14.0). I was able to update to the 1.3.0 chart version, but couldn't update to the 2.0.1 version. One of the complaints was something related to the http port, so I disabled host networking so I could specify a port vs leaving it blank. Then it complained about UID and GID, basically the new 2.0.1 chart version lets you set the UID and GID vs having to manually set it as an environmental variable. Once I deleted the manual UID and GID I had set (so it wouldn't interfere with the new UID and GID settings in the 2.0.1 chart version), I was able to update to chart version 2.0.1 and there is a new "User and Group Configuration" section where I was able to re-enter the UID and GID.

IndieCoopz

Explorer
Now i still have the problem with Navidrome. I dont know what this is, the user rights are fine and user id 568 is set... I already created another instance and here i have the same permission issue. i dont know what they did there in version 0.51.

Last edited:

jjcohen

Cadet
I'm having problems updating Plex:

Version:
TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3

Current version of Plex:
Name:plex
App Version: 1.32.8.7639
Chart Version:1.7.59
Last Updated:N/A
Source:
hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-dockergithub.com/k8s-at-home/charts/tree/master/charts/plex

Version to upgrade to: 1.32.8.7639_2.0.1

middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to upgrade App: Migration to 2.x.x is only allowed from 1.7.60 or higher

Any ideas on how to sort this out?

jjcohen

Cadet
I'm having problems updating Plex:

Version:
TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3

Current version of Plex:
Name:plex
App Version: 1.32.8.7639
Chart Version:1.7.59
Last Updated:N/A
Source:
hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-dockergithub.com/k8s-at-home/charts/tree/master/charts/plex

Version to upgrade to: 1.32.8.7639_2.0.1

middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to upgrade App: Migration to 2.x.x is only allowed from 1.7.60 or higher

Any ideas on how to sort this out?
Never mind all this. All fixed. I looked again and found the option to upgrade to an intermediate version.

Reactions: par

neneaiancu

Cadet
Never mind all this. All fixed. I looked again and found the option to upgrade to an intermediate version.
Hello
for me does not work to update from 1.32.8.7639_1.7.60 to 1.32.8.7639_2.0.1...

[EFAULT] Failed to upgrade App: Persistence - Expected to start with a forward slash [/]

Shigure

Dabbler
Now i still have the problem with Navidrome. I dont know what this is, the user rights are fine and user id 568 is set... I already created another instance and here i have the same permission issue. i dont know what they did there in version 0.51.
I'm having the same issue for Navidrome, any updates?

I had the cannot upgrade error with PhotoPrism before and the log just looks like the one you have for emby, and I end up with reinstalling it...

Last edited:

IndieCoopz

Explorer
I'm having the same issue for Navidrome, any updates?

I had the cannot upgrade error with PhotoPrism before and the log just looks like the one you have for emby, and I end up with reinstalling it...

Its a sh*t app... Im already on it and try to fix it but im afraid, that i have to reinstall the &%$$ app again.

2024-02-18 18:55:34.356071+01:00Version: 0.51.1 (6d253225)
2024-02-18 18:55:34.356078+01:002024-02-18T18:55:34.356078821+01:00
2024-02-18 18:55:34.357730+01:00time="2024-02-18T17:55:34Z" level=info msg="Upgrading DB Schema to latest version"
2024-02-18 18:55:34.365787+01:00time="2024-02-18T17:55:34Z" level=fatal msg="Failed to apply new migrations" error="ERROR go migration: \"20231209211223_alter_lyric_column.go\": failed to run go migration: disk I/O error: permission denied"
Only god knows what permissions it want. I think it has to do with the dataset permission, i already changed the permission from apps to root but still no permission.

Shigure

Dabbler
Its a sh*t app... Im already on it and try to fix it but im afraid, that i have to reinstall the &%$$ app again.

Only god knows what permissions it want. I think it has to do with the dataset permission, i already changed the permission from apps to root but still no permission.
I tried different permissions as well but nothing works.
I opened an issue on Github for this, I already re-installed Navidrome once last month due to the same problem so I don't want to do it again.

IndieCoopz

Explorer
I tried different permissions as well but nothing works.
I opened an issue on Github for this, I already re-installed Navidrome once last month due to the same problem so I don't want to do it again.

I did a also a new clean install and i hope this will never happen again. I lost all my "last added" music collection metadata now. If there are problems on updating again, i will never update navidrome anymore...

Dellyjoe

Explorer
I was able to update emby now. When you click on update, in the update window -> version to update i could choose from two different versions and the lower one did the emby and chart update. It seems that there is something wrong with the repo...

This helped me figure out that the default update for Plex was set to 2.0.3, and I was on 1.7.59. My application when trying to update stated
Migration to 2.x.x is only allowed from 1.7.60. The update drop-down menu had 1.7.60. After updating to 1.7.60 I was easily able to go to 2.0.3

Thank you for helping me figure that out.

joe