Unable to unlock Pools after upgrade 11.2-u7 to 11.3-RELEASE

nathank1989

Contributor
Yikes..... I am waiting to upgrade to 11.3 but I am not risking my 20TB encrypted pool to upgrade or screw up the empty password process.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Does no one read the release notes BEFORE upgrading? This gotcha is clearly spelled out there.

redfox

Cadet
Have the same issue going from 11.2-U8 to 11.3-U3.1

My best bet would be that I have to replace the geli.key file like when you use a fresh freenas base system and try to mount old pools.

The quick fix is to go to the GUI. System -> Boot Environments. Hit the Options on the 11.2-U8 and mark that as active.
Reboot and everything works as expected.

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
Hi @redfox, can you please let me know if it would be possible for you to schedule a team viewer session ? And please meanwhile it would be great if you did not delete the 11.3-U3.1 Boot Environment. I'm very curious to see why this is not working and we have not been able to reproduce yet. You can email me at waqar@ixsystems.com. Thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I must’ve missed that?? I didn’t see that in the release notes, I’ll have to check again.

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
Thank you @Samuel Tai for sharing that, however it does not impact the ability to unlock the GELI pool. We should still be able to unlock it, on the other side it's highly recommended to make sure system dataset is on a pool which is not passphrase encrypted and in 11.3 this has been enforced because of the reasons the link you shared shares.

Please let me know if there's any confusion. Thanks

w0ki

Cadet
I have the same issue. I reverted to 11.2u7, removed passphrase, created a new recovery key but in 11.3 regardless what I du I don' t manage to unlock the pool. I would be happy to assist you in troubleshooting and going between the boot environments seem to be stable and working fine as I have been going back and forth multiple times.

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
Hi @w0ki, please let me know when you'll be available and we can schedule a team viewer session. Can you please mail me your availability on the email address mentioned in my second last comment ? Thank you

nathank1989

Contributor
Has anyone upgraded recently with an encrypted DATA pool (not system dataset) with passphrase?
I'm still on 11.2 and want to upgrade but do not want to deal with changing passphrases and GELI keys.

MrHans

Dabbler
Has anyone upgraded recently with an encrypted DATA pool (not system dataset) with passphrase?
I'm still on 11.2 and want to upgrade but do not want to deal with changing passphrases and GELI keys.
I just upgraded today, and the issue still remains.

My system dataset pool is not encrypted (exactly because of the mentioned incompatibility). My data pools are encrypted and still cannot be decrypted as of writing. A reboot does not solve the problem. My upgrade (attempt) was from 11.2 U8 to 11.3 U4.1, but I went back to 11.2 U8 boot environment and decrypted without issues.

Waiting for this to be resolved.

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
Hi @MrHans, can you please confirm if you still have the preserved BE of 11.3 where you faced this issue ?
And if I understand correctly, issue is that you are unable to unlock pool after upgrade to 11.3 ?

MrHans

Dabbler
Hello @waqarahmed, yes I still have the 11.3 boot environment. And also yes, my encrypted data pools cannot be unlocked. System dataset pool is separate. Furthermore, now that I checked my jails are no longer available/visible in 11.2. I presume they were automatically updated to 11.3...

I am not sure what is the root cause of this issue. I almost went the "export then re-import pool" direction, but wanted to hear some expert opinions on it first. I might be making things worse.

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
Thank you for confirming @MrHans. Can we please schedule a teamviewer session tomorrow ? ( Please mention time slots which work with you with timezone ) My email id is waqar(at the rate of )ixsystems.com.

Yorick

Wizard
my jails are no longer available/visible in 11.2. I presume they were automatically updated to 11.3...

You can get those back in two ways:
- Revert to an 11.2 snapshot of the jails
OR
- Go into each jails directory and look at config.json and default.json, if it exists. There should be backup versions of those in the same directory. Restore the backups. 11.3 creates "nat" entries in there that 11.2 does not know how to parse.

nathank1989

Contributor
I'm guessing this issue still is unresolved and I shouldn't bother upgrading from 11.2U8 yet

MrHans

Dabbler
For reference I am still on 11.2 U8. I did not have time to properly investigate this issue and it is not exactly related to the release notes either.

w0ki

Cadet
Is there a bugrepport for this issue? If I understand it correct there still is an issue even in the latest builds.