Unable to see disks

Anagog

Cadet
Hi,

I have TrueNAS running in a VM on ESXI. I'm using a HP Gen 8 Microserver with a HP Smart Array P222 RAID card flashed to latest firmware and in HBA mode. On my VM I have passed the P222 directly through to the VM but It isn't showing any disks. When I disable the passthrough the disks show as expected in VMware. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong please? (Apart from running it as a VM. Want to give it bare metal access to the Disks and with my setup this is the best way to do it)

joeschmuck

Old Man
flashed to latest firmware and in HBA mode.
TrueNAS/FreeNAS needs the RAID card in "IT" mode, not HBA (also called IR) mode.

Anagog

Cadet
TrueNAS/FreeNAS needs the RAID card in "IT" mode, not HBA (also called IR) mode.

Ah, that would explain it. I haven't been able to find anything for IT mode for this card annoyingly. Guess I'll set it back up with devices passed through for the time being and look into getting a different card at a later date. Is there one you would recommend for 4 drives?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I guess you could use RDM, I have done that before even though it isn't recommened and ran like that for almost a year without issue. I was learning VMWare, that is my excuse. Actually it was becasue someone said I could do it but I shouldn't do it. Challenge accepted. :cool:

Anagog

Cadet
Yeah, that is what I was using but was getting some SMART monitoring issues (Either that or one of the drives is actually on the way out... ILO reports it as healthy). Bought a Xeon as an upgrade, both for more cores and VTd support so I could actually pass through the card and do things properly... half way there I guess. Thanks :)

zis8snbt4p

Dabbler
Don't know where you are with this but you can follow this guide to crossflash to IT mode.
What I found also was that if you don't flash the boot rom you can't see the disks.