Unable to restart after product install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello - its help the noob time. For the life of my I cannot get my PC to boot after installation of the product. I have a flat spot from banging my skull in to my desk – to begin with:

An HP 750-150xt PC Intel i5 4690K processor 16GB – BIOS is KA2 VA0.06 dated 7/22/15

I’ve burned the product v 9.3- stable 201509023.158 to CD and 8 GB stick (USB 2.0). Burning the ISO to the CD and the memory stick had no problems - perfect. The PC booted and I followed the installation steps. As it’s a newer machine I needed to reactive legacy support in BIOS to make it boot from the stick. The installation went without issue and reported back success. When I reboot I get an error that there is no OS on the drive. (install media removed) I’ve tried to install on an 8GB Lexar (usb 2.0) and a scandisk 15gb stick – no joy. Just for grins I loaded the product on my first internal hard drive just to see. Still nothing. Ran memory tests, processer tests, everything I can think of – nada.

Any suggestions?

D

dlavigne

To be clear, you installed to a second USB stick (not the stick containing the installer)? If so, is the stick you installed inserted into a USB2 or 3 port?

The PC has both 2.0 and 3.0 and I have tried both / also tried ports fore and aft - no joy. Further tests show that I can take the installed USB drive to a old laptop of mine and the product will start.
I would submit that on the surface that installation is successful, narrowing it down to the PC that I am trying to use. One point of order is to enable the legacy mode in BIOS I had to disable secure boot - I don't know if that's a big deal but it was new to my experience. Last point in a "aint getting any more broke action" I installed the product to SATA drive 0 in my drive array (Yes I know that's bad)- still no luck.
Just to mess around I ran the installer but selected option 2 for shell. I then plugged the USB stick in and the system initialized it and reported back with the information about the stick.
So I have a good stick.
I have the product installed on it.
The PC will see the stick with the product installed on it.
The PC will boot from a stick with the install ISO on it
Just cant get the product to launch from this particular PC.

Thanks for taking up my cause.

Zedar

Cadet
I also have an issue very similar to this with the latest version of FreeNAS (9.3). I have an Intel DP55WG MB with the FreeNAS OS mounted on an 8GB USB. I was able to do the install from CD, run the OS, and access the FreeNAS GUI from another machine. I've set the USB as the first boot device yet on cold boot I get the following message: "This is a NAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted." Double checked the bios and USB is still first device for boot priority.

For one last thing I went to the archive and pulled a copy of FreeNas from 23Jun of this year just to see. Trying various USB sticks and CDs I still cannot get my PC to recognize the boot media. So I guess there are some incompatibilities with HP/Intel. Quite discouraging.

I would think that - but I am able to put the install ISO on a stick and the PC reads it just fine.
I've played with BIOS settings even popped the battery out just to see if I could not tick it off some how.
No dice.

clarknova

Explorer
Any suggestions?

Your problem sounds like mine. I know you said you enabled legacy boot, but are you sure the computer is trying to boot the USB in legacy mode? In my case it appears that the computer doesn't see the USB stick as a legacy device, and will only try to boot it in EFI mode, hence the trouble. Perhaps you are experiencing the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.