Unable to rename files in SMB share

riegersn

Cadet
Please help! I setup a private smb dataset share. I've copied over a bunch of files from my mac and I'm unable to rename or move them. I can delete and copy. Files that i create from scratch I have full control over.

What settings did you use in this SMB share?

riegersn

Cadet
I didn't change any of the defaults actually. What I've discovered is that anything I copy onto the share from a windows PC everything works. I'm also able to rename those files from my mac. However anything I copy to the share from my mac i'm unable to rename or move even from my windows machine. It seems the problem is more related to my mac than it is Truenas.

Does this happen with any file / filename? Or only certain ones?

Have you tried enabling the "Apple-style Encoding" setting on the SMB share?

riegersn

Cadet
Does this happen with any file / filename? Or only certain ones?

Have you tried enabling the "Apple-style Encoding" setting on the SMB share?
I had a apple hfs+ formatted 1TB external drive when I copied file over I was unable to rename/move. Also files copied directly from the mac cause this issue. Any new file I created directly on the share from my mac did not have this problem. For instance, a new text file from apple's text app saved in the SMB retained the ability to rename and move.

Where is this apple encoding setting?

Davvo

MVP
Where is this apple encoding setting?
In core it's in the share's advanced options.

Looking at the existing documentation, I have no idea were it can be found on SCALE.

Last edited:

Daisuke

Contributor
What permissions you have set for the copied files? Example for my Uranus NAS default pool backup dataset files, mounted through a SMB share in my Mac:
Code:
root@uranus[~]# ls -lh /mnt/default/media/backup
total 74K
drwxr-xr-x+  4 user apps 12 Jul  9 21:04 Documents
drwxr-xr-x+ 12 user apps 14 Jul 10 04:20 Downloads

Maybe something is not right with your SMB settings? Also, if the copied files are associated with the wrong user/group, you will not be able to access them. My SMB settings for media dataset:

1688980392384.png

Last edited: