Unable to isolate iGPU despite being in its own IOMMU group

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Lets see if there's any improvement in SCALE 23.10.1 next week.

bcat

Explorer
Verified the issue described in this thread still exists after updating to 23.10.1.

underpickled

Contributor
And here's the PCIe device configuration in the VM:
Been struggling with this for a while. I'm on a 12600K trying to use the iGPU in either a Plex App or a VM with Plex running. Can't isolate, just as you noted, but I also can't add it to the VM. It shows up like this (this is the correct PCIE ID that shows up in the isolation error)
1707000469604.png
Neither does the iGPU show up in as available for allocation in the Scale Plex app, but it is clearly being seen by the system since it does appear in the GPU isolation menu.
Do you just not get that error when you try to add it to a VM?

bcat

Explorer
Correct, I don't get that error when adding as a "PCI Passthrough Device" manually.

But I think you might have some other issue. You should be seeing the device name in the list, something like "0000:00:02.0 'Display controller': CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics P630] by 'Intel Corporation'". But for you it sees TrueNAS is having trouble obtaining the device info more generally. Very weird.

What version of TrueNAS are you running? I'm still on SCALE 23.10.1.3. (Haven't updated to 23.10.2 yet.)

underpickled

Contributor
Correct, I don't get that error when adding as a "PCI Passthrough Device" manually.

But I think you might have some other issue. You should be seeing the device name in the list, something like "0000:00:02.0 'Display controller': CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics P630] by 'Intel Corporation'". But for you it sees TrueNAS is having trouble obtaining the device info more generally. Very weird.

What version of TrueNAS are you running? I'm still on SCALE 23.10.1.3. (Haven't updated to 23.10.2 yet.)
I eventually found out that the issue was that I needed a dummy HDMI plugged in for my iGPU to get recognized by the apps service. I still couldn't isolate it for a VM, but now that it works for apps I'm good to go (was just trying to get it working for Plex, whether in a VM or app). Thanks for replying though!