Unable to find any data stored on volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

hq231

Cadet
So completely new to FreeNAS, I followed a tutorial turning an old laptop and 1 terabyte external HDD into a media server. Everything worked well, I was able to put quite a bit of data on it. Had to take the laptop down for some time. I tried to set it back up today and I can't see any of the data I saved onto the HDD.

I'm using 9.10.2

Forgive me I'm not sure of what else I need to provide to get help with an answer.

m0nkey_

MVP
Using a laptop and a USB drive is not a recommended setup. USB is known to be unreliable with ZFS. There is a high chance you have lost the data on the drive.

I recommend you take a look at the hardware recommendations guide under the resources section of the forum.

Inxsible

Guru
I would agree with m0nkey_ here. Using any "videos" or unofficial installation procedures almost always leads to headaches.

I have seen this not only with FreeNAS, but also with Archlinux and pfSense etc, where un-recommended methods were used for installation.

rs225

Guru
What do you see? What steps did you follow, and at which point did something not do what you expected?

hq231

Cadet
What do you see? What steps did you follow, and at which point did something not do what you expected?
First thing I noticed is it gave me an Error 22 when I got it booted up, I found a forum that had something related and talked about opening the shell and using the zpool import tool. That seemed to give me access but it didn't have any of my files inside. I can see in the interface that there is data taken up in the Volume tab. Also I had made a network drive shortcut for it a while back and I noticed that it said 3.99 MB free of 4.00 MB. Which is very odd considering its a terabyte. Attached is a picture of the volume tab. Thank you in advance!
FreenasVolume.png

Inxsible

Guru
.... I found a forum that had something related and talked about opening the shell and using the zpool import tool.
First of all, you need to stop looking at random forums and tips to get your information about FreeNAS. Secondly please tell us exactly what you did instead of saying 'using import tool'. We need to know the exact commands you ran, if you expect us to help you.

rs225

Guru
Try a reboot, and see where you are at. Most likely, the datasets aren't mounted. You can try zfs mount OurStuff

Last edited:

hq231

Cadet
First of all, you need to stop looking at random forums and tips to get your information about FreeNAS. Secondly please tell us exactly what you did instead of saying 'using import tool'. We need to know the exact commands you ran, if you expect us to help you.
zpool import -D OurStuff.
It had me put the ID number in and then the directory showed up on PC end but there was nothing in the folder and it appeared to only have a maximum storage of 4 MB.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, the GUI says you have 55 GB on OurStuff. You have a jails dataset, but there's nothing significant in there. The data is there, the problem is that you don't know where it is. Try this from the shell, and post the result: cd /mnt/OurStuff; du -sh *

Status
Not open for further replies.