Unable to boot after applying configuration (23.10.1) - vfio: module verification failed signature and/or required key missing

etoel

Cadet
Before upgrading from 23.10.0.1 I made the mistake of upgrading my boot pool rendering it impossible to boot from.
I started a fresh install from the 23.10.1 ISO, but was unable to do so over IPMI (screen turned blank after the initial blue install screen).
To remedy this I had to install a nvidia GT 1030 card and install locally. That worked and I reformatted the boot drive and performed a fresh install - all good so far.
Upon booting into the GUI I proceeded to upload my 23.10.0.1 configuration file and it warned me that it would have to reboot. The first boot looks normal, but then it reboots on its own and then get stucked very quickly - the last 2 lines displayed are:
Code:
[    1.225439] vfio: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[    1.227017] VFIO - User Level meta-driver version 0.3

I did not have that nvidia card installed before I had to reinstall, but I did have a nvidia Tesla P4

I have tried the reinstall 2 times with the same result

I have googled the issue and searched the forum. The only reference to vfio I can find are for passthrough issues, not boot.

Help is very welcome, family is not happy with the plex server being down with Christmas holidays approaching...
Thanks

Attachments

• Truenas boot failure.png
    Truenas boot failure.png
    690.7 KB · Views: 102

ryubasteon

Cadet
Yes, I have the same issue. However I have noticed that if I just wait a bit I can still log in fine and everything works. You just don't see any of the local screen updates. Fought with this for a few hours myself until I noticed this after giving up.

mgoulet65

Explorer
I have the same issue on 23.10.1.3 update. Direct attach video fails at the point of this error but boot/Web access works fine. Has anyone reported this as a bug?

jengle

Dabbler
I have the same issue as you @mgoulet65 however I don't get a boot.
Cannot ping after 10 minutes. How long did you wait?

mgoulet65

Explorer
I have the same issue as you @mgoulet65 however I don't get a boot.
Cannot ping after 10 minutes. How long did you wait?

It's normal boot time (2-3 minutes) for the webUI to come up. I just lose direct attached video.

mgoulet65

Explorer
I upgraded to 23.10.2 and still get this error. Causes console to stop displaying and thus no available console, but the server comes up fine...all services and webgui function. Is anyone from TrueNas looking at this?

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
I upgraded to 23.10.2 and still get this error. Causes console to stop displaying and thus no available console, but the server comes up fine...all services and webgui function. Is anyone from TrueNas looking at this?
I don't believe (based on a very quick search for the error shown) that we have received a bug report for this. To investigate, we would need a bug report to be filed, and a debug uploaded to the private ticket (link provided on the bug ticket after creation).

mgoulet65

Explorer
Anyone on this thread already a Jira user? I am not. I will register if need be but would rather not if I don't have to.

mgoulet65

Explorer
I went ahead and created a ticket.

SKiZZ

Dabbler
I'm having the same issue on 23.10.2 still.Looks like my webGUI isn't working either.

SKiZZ

Dabbler
Figured it out it was from turning on isolated GPU on the Matrox in the Dell R730XD. Turned off isolation and the error didn't happen.

mgoulet65

Explorer
Figured it out it was from turning on isolated GPU on the Matrox in the Dell R730XD. Turned off isolation and the error didn't happen.
That was my issue TOO but I didn't isolate it. I wonder if it could have been done by truenas during one of the updates?

SKiZZ

Dabbler
That was my issue TOO but I didn't isolate it. I wonder if it could have been done by truenas during one of the updates?
Same, I was scratching my head trying to remember if I did it, but I’m 99.9% I didn’t touch that.