Ubiquiti Unifi Controller in a Jail

rmccullough

Patron
I am finally getting around to replacing my existing TP-Link APs w/ Ubiquiti stuff. I remember reading before that the Unifi Controller can run natively in a jail. Is that still the case? Any gotchas? The threads I see on this are mostly pretty old. Is there a difference between the UniFi 6 vs 7 packages? Or just a newer version? Can I still run older APs on UniFi 7?

The Ubiquiti APs I am buying are older models, like the AP Pro and Pro HD. I think these are all WiFi 5 models. Any gotchas here?

the_jest

Explorer
I've been running the UniFi Controller in a jail for some time, with no problems at all. Currently on 7.2.94. Yes, you can run older APs; I only just removed an AC Lite, which is from 2015, a few months ago.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Or pkg install unifi8 if you want the current version...

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Really? Didn’t find that one in my search.
Did you change your pkg repo to "latest" instead of "quarterly"?
Code:
mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
echo 'FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }' >/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

victort

Guru
Did you change your pkg repo to "latest" instead of "quarterly"?
Code:
mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
echo 'FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }' >/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
No I didn’t. Thanks for that

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
UniFi Controller 8.1.113 & MongoDB 5 running on a 13.2 jail, on top of TrueNAS CORE 13.0-U6.1, continuously upgraded since at least UniFi 5 throughout the years, if not even earlier, and no issues what-so-ever (other, of course, than the occasional nuisance when a MongoDB upgrade requires manual intervention for a db migration).