Turning encrypted stripe into mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pestaninha

Dabbler
Hi,

I've recently bought a new disk and I intended to turn the existing setup into a mirror data pool. I currently have a stripe pool with one disk and I was looking to add redundancy to it.
My pool is encrypted and this adds a new layer of complexity to the whole problem. I quickly learned that this was impossible to do on the GUI, so I've been googling around and experimenting on a VM, but can't seem to be able to achieve my goal

The closest I came was following this tutorial. I was able to partition the disk, encrypt it and add it to the pool successfully, however, the GUI doesn't seem to know the path of the geli key of the new disk (which I had assigned as the same as the old disk), so when I remove the pool and import it back the GUI outputs an error explaining that it could not decrypt one of the disks (always the new one). This also happens when I lock/unlock the pool.
Everything works fine if I do the geli attach on the command line and I have no more issues (at least on the VM, have not tried in production), but this is not practical.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Is this viable? Has anyone have any idea where the mapping disks<->geli keys is stored and how to edit it?

Thank you

m0nkey_

MVP
The best way would be to back up your data and rebuild your pool as a mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pestaninha

Dabbler
I'd rather not do that... I have my jails in this pool and I'm not sure what the consequences will be of moving my jail dirs to another disk.

Is there any way around this? I've though about creating a new pool with the new disk and sending snapshots from the first pool to this one. Is this possible/viable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.