Trying to remote connect to NUT/UPS master on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2

DavidYLau

Dabbler
Hi, I'm a newbie to NUT.

I have the NUT/UPS service working locally on my TrueNAS-SCALE system. e.g. shell>upsc ups@localhost shows the attached UPS.

Now, I'm trying to get the WinNUT-client on a Windows10 PC to connect to the TrueNAS-SCALE system, but no luck.

WinNUT_no_connect.jpg

On the right-side of the picture, you'll see the TrueNAS UPS configuration. The GUI sections for auxiliary parameters ups.conf & upsd.com are currently both blank.
On the left of the picture is the WinNUT configuration. I can ping the TrueNAS machine from the Windows10 PC. But WinNUT client tries to connect without any success. I have tried both <my_typed_in_password> as well as "fixmepass" (that is mentioned in the Remote Monitor ?hint).

Do I need to add "Listen" or "extra-user" parameters?

Thanks in advance for any help..

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP

Redcoat

MVP
A dead link?
Hence my leg-pull "Have you?" to @elvisimprsntr . I'd say it's about 7 years or perhaps more since there was any action being reported on the development of a windows version. I had a file on it at one time but I'm guessing that I dumped it when there was no action because I could not find it this evening when I went looking.

I may try what you're working with - I'll report if so.

Redcoat

MVP
I may try what you're working with - I'll report if so.
I could not get it to connect to my Cyberpower UPS on my pfSense box.

DavidYLau

Dabbler
I could not get it to connect to my Cyberpower UPS on my pfSense box.
I got it to work with my TrueNAS-SCALE box.

I did two steps, it's probably the second step.

Step 1: I created an *.ini file since I was wondering if the GUI was broken and then loaded it with FILE>Import.
The file contents were just equivalent to the GUI fill-in boxes:
MONITOR ups@<ip_of_my_TrueNAS_box> 1 upsmon <password> slave
(I doubt this made any difference. )

Step 2: I changed the polling interval from "0" (default) to 5.
I was reading a github thread with the author of the app and he suggested this to somebody trying to communicate with a Synology box as master. I'm guessing it's this polling interval change that made it work.

Redcoat

MVP
I'm guessing it's this polling interval change that made it work.
I'll give it a whirl when I have time - thanks for the follow-through!

fletchowns

Cadet
I'm guessing it's this polling interval change that made it work.

Thanks for mentioning this! I was having trouble getting this working and it seemed like I had everything configured correctly. After changing the polling interval from 0 to 5 in WinNUT-client, it started working :smile: