TrueNAS SMB Recycle Bin not working

TombR

Dabbler
Hi All.
I'm changed system from Freenas 11-U7 to TrueNas 12.0. In previous version all working. In this version I have checked "Export Recycle Bin" but this not working. There directory not exists. I'm delete small test file but system not create directory ".recycled" like in previous version. I'm checked with ssh and Midnight Commander too. Is there a bug in Samba configuration?

Anyone help with this?

Thanks..

TombR

Dabbler
Thanks. It's works for me. After do this I reconfiguring ACL's for this share. Works fine. :)

stualden

Explorer
I just realized I'd had this problem since moving to TrueNAS. I do have a number of auxiliary parameters for my shares. Do I need to remove them permanently if I want the recycle bin to work? (If so, I'd like to add that to the documentation.) Or can they be put back in after recycle bin is up and running? Thanks.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I just realized I'd had this problem since moving to TrueNAS. I do have a number of auxiliary parameters for my shares. Do I need to remove them permanently if I want the recycle bin to work? (If so, I'd like to add that to the documentation.) Or can they be put back in after recycle bin is up and running? Thanks.
Auxiliary parameters are generally not something we document. They fall pretty far outside the boundaries of what's supportable. Samba has hundreds of valid-but-untested (for us) parameters that users can put there. There is an issue potentially impacting ACLs on the recycle bin (preventing deletion of auto-created directories) that is being fixed in U3. If there's a "vfs objects" line in your auxiliary parameters, then you will need to append "recycle" to the list in order for the recycle bin to work.

stualden

Explorer
Excellent, thank you!

berrick

Explorer
I also cant see the recycle bin in TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1. This was a fresh install rather than an upgrade.
I cant see any auxiliary parameters on the share .

This is a windows share and the NAS is domain joined.

Any help appreciated

_Alchemist_

Dabbler
I also cant see the recycle bin in TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1. This was a fresh install rather than an upgrade.
I cant see any auxiliary parameters on the share .

This is a windows share and the NAS is domain joined.

Any help appreciated
I have TrueNAS 12.0-U3, the Option is at:
"Sharing --> Windows Shares (SMB) --> klick three Dots next to your Share, Edit --> Advanced Options --> Other Options"
Tick the Box next to "Export Recycle Bin" and klick "SAVE".

1619345803144.png

I also had to restart the SMB Service for it to take effect

berrick

Explorer
@_Alchemist_

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have already been there and the option is grayed out.
I do have an ACL applied to this share ?

_Alchemist_

Dabbler
I have already been there and the option is grayed out.
I do have an ACL applied to this share ?
Can you show your ACL configuration?
I'm not an expert but maybe I (or someone else) can find the problem

berrick

Explorer
Hi, anodos

Yes that was the problem.

Not immediately obvious when looking at the options on the black background. I looked at the currently highlighted option (assuming this was the top most item) then down the list initially ignoring the "No Presets".

Preset.png

Many thanks to all who replied

Last edited:

PDM

Dabbler
Have you switch the share configuration preset to "NO_PRESET"?

I only noticed this with a new dataset SMB. Had to go and change all my shares to "NO PRESET" so I could enable the .recycle bin again.

João Filho

Cadet
Bom dia, Pessoal

Começei a USAR o truenas, Ao ativar o Serviço da lixeira no SMB gostaria de saber se TEM Como configurar dias para FICA salva na lixeira e Quais Extensões de Arquivo e TAMANHO tb?

desde já agradeço,

Gilley7997

Dabbler
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I just noticed that my .recycle is not working as well on my SMB shares. I assume this died when I upgraded to TrueNas and I didn't notice. These are my current settings. Any suggestions?

FreeNAS_SMB_SHARE_OPTIONS.png

Gilley7997

Dabbler
You have hard-coded VFS objects that prevent it from working.
OKay, so let me ask the next stupid question. I'm pretty sure that those settings came from a suggestion here at some point years ago. I don't exactly know what those are doing.

What should be done to enable it again? What is the harm to removing these?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
OKay, so let me ask the next stupid question. I'm pretty sure that those settings came from a suggestion here at some point years ago. I don't exactly know what those are doing.

What should be done to enable it again? What is the harm to removing these?
You can add a # character in front of the line, save, and restart SMB. That particular line is quite incorrect anyway (out of order and has two ACL modules enabled).