TrueNAS Setup - Is It Just Me?

RayRay72

Cadet
I am rebuilding an older server with new drives that will be used for backing up various things from VM's through Veeam to other FreeNAS servers. I installed a fresh copy of TrueNAS 12.0.U2 Core on it. I was excited by the new interface, but I am far from impressed after a week of getting nowhere. I have setup FreeNAS servers before (we have 3 others) and never had issues like this. I have read and followed the online documentation only to realize I was doing things correctly.

Issue 1 - Active Directory
We have a lot of applications connected to Active Directory (2012 R2) on our network. No matter what I've tried, I cannot get TrueNAS to connect to Active Directory. I have used a domain admin account that's used in several places. I have created a new account and played with settings. Every time all I get is an "Invalid Paramter was passed" error. I get a matching error on the DC, but no additional info is given.

Issue 2 - RSync
I setup a pool and some datasets. I am trying to RSync from an older FreeNAS 9.10 server. I have tried using both RSync Modules and RSync over SSH and neither work. No errors, but it never sends data. I have restarted Rsync service on both sides in between attempts to no avail. I setup a NFS share, exchanged root ssh keys, etc. Doesn't work and have found no errors in any logs as to why.

Issue 3 - Pools
In troubleshooting Issue 2, I decided I'd remove all my datasets and pool and start over. Ummmm, there is no option to destroy/remove the pool I created. Really? It's empty because I can't get data to sync to it. Am I missing something? I know I can do this from the CLI, but I recall FreeNAS doesn't like you using CLI, and it's recommended to use the GUI.

So yeah, that's all I've attempted to do, which isn't much, but not one thing has worked yet. Is it better to try to find an old FreeNAS version to install or even FreeBSD perhaps?

ornias

Wizard
two notes:

-Trying to RSync from FreeNAS Server versions that have been depricated for years now, is not very well supported at all.

- Pool deletion via CLI works fine. It's mostly pool-creation that can be a slight issue at time via the CLI.
But most ZFS and zpool CLI commands work just fine afaik

Adrian

Contributor
One of the 3 fixes in TrueNAS 12.0-U2.1 might be relevant to you:
[NAS-109434] - Resolve issues with joining Active Directory Domains

RayRay72

Cadet
two notes:

-Trying to RSync from FreeNAS Server versions that have been depricated for years now, is not very well supported at all.

- Pool deletion via CLI works fine. It's mostly pool-creation that can be a slight issue at time via the CLI.
But most ZFS and zpool CLI commands work just fine afaik

I was able to delete through the GUI. I shut down all services and then had an option prompt that allowed me to destroy it.

RayRay72

Cadet
Update...

I setup RSync to pull from TueNAS rather than a push from the old FreeNAS server and data is syncing. I may not have to scrap this server after all!!