TrueNAS SCALE: The voyage begins with version 20.10

Zain

Contributor
Is the RELEASE tagged update for business users still on track for Q2? Are we looking at early Q2 or closer to Q3?

ornias

Wizard
BETA seems to be tagged for around June, so I don't think RELEASE is going to be tagged in Q2.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Is the RELEASE tagged update for business users still on track for Q2? Are we looking at early Q2 or closer to Q3?
For clustered workloads, it willl still be BETA... not suitable for 24x7 operation.
For single node workloads, it will be more proven. It will still require technical skills and an adventurous spirit.
We strongly recommend people build test systems and then make their own decision.

Zain

Contributor
For clustered workloads, it willl still be BETA... not suitable for 24x7 operation.
For single node workloads, it will be more proven. It will still require technical skills and an adventurous spirit.
We strongly recommend people build test systems and then make their own decision.
“...will be more proven.” Can you confirm then at that time (Q2) whether a smooth/outlined transition path from Core to Scale will also be included? Would plug-ins and VMs be part of a transition as well or would they have to be reinstalled/reconfigured after upgrade?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Can you confirm then at that time (Q2) whether a smooth/outlined transition path from Core to Scale will also be included?
Why would you want to transition from CORE to SCALE? What does KVM virtualisation offer that bhyve doesn't? I have not a single issue whatsoever running Ubuntu 20 and Windows 10 and CentOS (don't know the version, not my VMs) in business critical environments.

I get that some want/need Linux containers. But apart from that? What exactly is it that CORE cannot deliver?

Kind regards,
Patrick

P.S. I personally see these two products as complementary. I wish to run Linux containers, but I also absolutely want to stick with jails where the application fits.

Zain

Contributor
Why would you want to transition from CORE to SCALE? What does KVM virtualisation offer that bhyve doesn't? I have not a single issue whatsoever running Ubuntu 20 and Windows 10 and CentOS (don't know the version, not my VMs) in business critical environments.

I get that some want/need Linux containers. But apart from that? What exactly is it that CORE cannot deliver?

Kind regards,
Patrick

P.S. I personally see these two products as complementary. I wish to run Linux containers, but I also absolutely want to stick with jails where the application fits.
Hardware transcoding for PMS.

ThreeDee

Guru
Inception OS .. Linux containers inside Scale inside a Jail inside Core ...

Zain

Contributor
Inception OS .. Linux containers inside Scale inside a Jail inside Core ...
I tried the PCI pass-through route but was unsuccessful at it.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
That's Plex? Get it. I don't use that. Just put the videos on my NAS and use Influx player on various Apple devices to play them. Or the browser via Nextcloud. Never had the need to transcode on the server side.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
“...will be more proven.” Can you confirm then at that time (Q2) whether a smooth/outlined transition path from Core to Scale will also be included? Would plug-ins and VMs be part of a transition as well or would they have to be reinstalled/reconfigured after upgrade?
Transition from CORE to SCALE will have been tested and documented.. SMB, NFS, iSCSI are the focus.
No transition for VMs, Jails, Plugins. They would need to be re-installed.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Zain

Contributor
Transition from CORE to SCALE will have been tested and documented.. SMB, NFS, iSCSI are the focus.
No transition for VMs, Jails, Plugins. They would need to be re-installed.
This would be perfectly fine by me! I use iSCSI to store my games and a rather large OneDrive sync. VMs and etc could go away for me, with docker support, so reinstallation of those is a nonissue.

hescominsoon

Patron

Kind regards,
Patrick

scale's virtualization is based upon KVM which has been around for a loooooong time and it rock solid stable. bhyve still has a way to go. google libvirt bsd and you will see libvirt has been problematic for a looooooong time. Frankly I think this is a golden opportunity to further segment and specialize their product stack. Let TN/C be a pure storage play..put the virtualizaion and the rest onto SCALE. Because SCALE is zfs based SCALE can not only be your virtualization stack BUT it can also be a backup/replication target for a TN/C system.

Philip Robar

Contributor
This is available in TrueNAS Core (via the FreeBSD 12 kernel) and was backported (hacked) to recent versions of FreeNAS. I have no need for it so I didn't save a reference, but some Googling or searching of this forum should turn up details.

Zain

Contributor
This is available in TrueNAS Core (via the FreeBSD 12 kernel) and was backported (hacked) to recent versions of FreeNAS. I have no need for it so I didn't save a reference, but some Googling or searching of this forum should turn up details.

I would rather wait for SCALE than have to “hack” stuff to get it working. I would also presume that the aforementioned hacks would require tweaking everytime specific updates were rolled out. I’m too lazy to do some googling on this as I have read many different articles on the subject and have already made my mind on waiting. Thanks though!

Also - any updates available on the next release of SCALE?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS SCALE 21.04 is scheduled for next week..... but if something is broken, it may get delayed.

ornias

Wizard
I would rather wait for SCALE than have to “hack” stuff to get it working. I would also presume that the aforementioned hacks would require tweaking everytime specific updates were rolled out. I’m too lazy to do some googling on this as I have read many different articles on the subject and have already made my mind on waiting. Thanks though!

Also - any updates available on the next release of SCALE?
There is one big thread here about it, by our resident expert(s).

TLDR: it works somewhat on TrueNAS core for most older-ish intel CPU’s and it works only for some old intel cpu’s on freenas.
However: it often seems to break on plex updates.

ARRRRGGGGHHH

Dabbler

Unfortunately it doesn't work correctly.

Lot's of issues with jails just locking up at random and hw transcoding just will no longer work ever again.

Only known fix is to blow the jail away and start fresh. If you are lucky. Else reinstall of TrueNAS required as well.

It's worthless unfortunately.

Zain

Contributor
Greetings!

Are there any updates regarding a seamless/built-in migration method from CORE to SCALE at this time (just the pool)?

TIA!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Greetings!

Are there any updates regarding a seamless/built-in migration method from CORE to SCALE at this time (just the pool)?

TIA!
The manual process is possible with SCALE 21.06 BETA... now available.
Seamless built-in migration is not going to be encouraged until after RELEASE status.