TrueNAS Scale replication to another Pool

jengle

Dabbler
I want to back up my existing pool of 3 4Tb drives with 2.48 TiB space used to another pool on the same system that has 3.92 TiB available space so I can destroy the 1st pool and add a 4th 4Tb drive the import it back. I think I need to use replication to move my current pool's contents to the 2nd pool as a backup. I am having problems finding examples with the current version of scale, so I'm posting the question here.

What I think I need to do:
  • Take a snapshot of pool 1
  • Create a directory on pool 2 to hold the replication/backup
  • Replicate pool 1 to the directory in pool 2
  • Destroy Pool 1
  • Add new HDD
  • Create new pool 1 and import?
Will I be able to navigate to the replication directory and simply import the pool? The documentation for TrueNAS Scale is missing any details on how to do this, and the video and blog posts refer to Core and FreeNAS that has a different menu system than Scale. I'm not finding any details on the exact steps to do this relatively simple task. Backups and Restores shouldn't be this difficult - or maybe they are so easy they don't need to be documented?

;-)
jengle

Thanks in advance.

jengle

Dabbler
Re-read the instructions 3 times and resolved the errors. Put the replication on a dedicated external drive with no datasets assigned and its cranking away. An actual set of examples for the different scenarios would be amazing for new folks.