Truenas scale or Proxmox as OS

Hello all experts!

I have recently built a new computer that will serve as a server and virtualizition machine. It's built from mostly parts I had lying around (hence the probably not best components, but I hope it will work).

What I have is:
- Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac
- CPU: Ryzen 5600G
- Ram: Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
- PSU: Corsair CV650 650W Dual EPS
- m.2 ssd for OS
- 4x 6tb WD red CMR

First I used a m.2 -> sata adapter for adding more drives but it didn't work so I'm installing a regular m.2 SSD and my 4 drives directly on the motherboard (unless the m.2 slot shares a lane with one of the sata ports).
I will later on go for a lsi 9207-8i HBA when I need to add more drives.

I need help with the installation procedure and to chose OS (proxmox or truenas scale).

I have searched but didn't find very much info for my specific case. I have very limited spare time due to a long term sick child so Im doing this when everyone is sleeping in the night and would be very greatful for any guidance!

I am choosing between Proxmox or Truenas Scale with:
- Truenas Scale (if running proxmox)
- Plex server in LXC
- Frigate in LXC
- Home assistant OS
- linux OS for torrent client

What should I do?
As far as I can see, passing the LSI board to truenas should be fine if I run proxmox as my main OS? Is there any advantages with choosing either of the installation procedures?
Are there any issues with adding an LSI baord later on? What I can find I can use the LSI baord with SFF 8087 -> 4x sata cable splitter and add regular sata drives?

Best regards
Jonathan

Jorsher

Explorer
I can't help you decide between Proxmox and TrueNAS. Most or all of those applications are available in TrueNAS/TrueCharts so you could set them up without needing VMs under TrueNAS. Since I don't really have a need for VMs, I just use TrueNAS bare-metal to 'keep it simple' and have Plex/torrent clients as apps. VMs are still an option with TrueNAS, but Proxmox is probably better suited for managing them if you rely on them.

Yes, you should be able to pass the LSI to TrueNAS. I've done so in the past (FreeNAS as a VM on ESXi). Yes, you can find a cheap LSI HBA to add additional SATA ports, and it's the best way to add additional SATA. Do not use port multipliers or any other odd adapters unless you enjoy headaches.

chuck32

Guru
"Absolutely must virtualize TrueNAS!" ... a guide to not completely losing your data.

That being said, for your mentioned containers there are good options under truenas scale

- Plex server in LXC (I think there's an app for that)
- Frigate in LXC (don't know that but you can always run a container in either a linux VM or I think directly as an app)
- Home assistant OS (Create a VM with HAOS ova)
- linux OS for torrent client (I run several ubuntu machines)

* I don't use apps.

I'd say go bare metal with truenas over virtualized in proxmox.

Whattteva

Wizard
I have searched but didn't find very much info for my specific case. I have very limited spare time due to a long term sick child so Im doing this when everyone is sleeping in the night and would be very greatful for any guidance!
Honestly, if you don't have a lot of time to invest, you probably should just go with SCALE bare metal. Virtualizing TrueNAS properly (without potentially ending up in tears) requires a certain combination of sauce.

I am choosing between Proxmox or Truenas Scale with:
- Truenas Scale (if running proxmox)
- Plex server in LXC
- Frigate in LXC
- Home assistant OS
- linux OS for torrent client
If you are going to use Proxmox anyway, then just run CORE. There is virtually zero benefit in running SCALE since you're probably not going to use the Apps feature anyway. I myself am running Proxmox with virtualized CORE (first system in my sig).

What should I do?
As far as I can see, passing the LSI board to truenas should be fine if I run proxmox as my main OS? Is there any advantages with choosing either of the installation procedures?
You need to pass it through if you are going to virtualize period. Ignore this advice at your own peril.

Are there any issues with adding an LSI baord later on? What I can find I can use the LSI baord with SFF 8087 -> 4x sata cable splitter and add regular sata drives?
You can add it later if running bare-metal, but if you are going to be virtualizing, you're going to need that HBA right now as you'll probably be using the M.2 for your boot drive.