Truenas Scale not seeing SSD to install on

Brennen

Cadet
Hi people,

I am creating another Truenas Scale system and I'm having with the installation. I have a Dell Poweredge T330 server. I have a 128GB SSD plugged into one of the embedded sata ports on the motherboard and it shows up fine in the bios however when it comes to choosing a drive to install truenas on it doesn't show up. I have a feeling it might have to do with the sata modes but i can't find much on it. The SSD has a full unallocated partition on it. The system is using BIOS mode not UFEI and the sata ports are running in AHCI mode. Not sure what's going on. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

JJSullivan

Cadet
I have the same problem with TrueNas Core 13.0-U3 which I downloaded today and wrote to a USB drive with Balena Etcher. I set the BIOS to boot from it, and turned the computer on.
It booted to the TrueNas menu from which I selected Install/Upgrade, which took me to the boot drive selection menu.
Except that it only showed the USB drive and the three NAS drives - no boot drive shown. See system specifications below.
The result of the subsequent experimentation in the BIOS indicated:
1 The (intended) boot drive is recognised in BIOS, as are the NAS drives
2 Same result whether in Legacy or UEFI mode
3 No effect from changing the SATA ports for the drives (tried other ports than #1 for the boot drive)

System specifications:
Motherboard: Asus B550M-A
BIOS version: 2604
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 4100
RAM: Crucial 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
Hard discs:
WD Red, 3 TB, WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZNO (x3)
WD Green, 320 GB, WDC WD3200AWVVS-63L2B0 (x1)

JJSullivan

Cadet
Please ignore my previous post. I have fixed the problem.

I reformatted the boot disc to ExFAT, put it back in the NAS system and the installation USB recognised it.

I think the boot disk may have had a FreeNAS OS on it from previous times, or I had inadvertently installed TrueNAS during my mucking around, and probably confused both it and the USB drive.

Sorry for bothering you.