Truenas scale/extern HD + internal HD

Hello all,

I have TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0/Current Train: TrueNAS-SCALE-Bluefin - TrueNAS SCALE Bluefin [release] running on a AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 2400G, 22 Gb DDR4. The main data is stored on a external HD (WD Elementals) and internally i have a WD red and a m2 ssd (small boot device). There a 3 things bothering me:

1) Truenas does not recomend running like this (from an external HD)
2) The WD red (was from my old NAS) should really be the main drive (shares/apps/data)
3) I get frequently these messages "Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 26 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors." (always the same sectors) but the health status in the dashboard of truenas is always OK. (everything runs allright, srubs, snapshots, replications)

What would your advice be? (there is no easy way, i think, to switch the drives)

Thanks for your input!

ps: so it is nvme0n1 (boot), sda (external, main data/shares/apps) sdb (internal, backup drive)

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
What would your advice be?
Use more suitable hardware. You already know that USB drives aren't suitable for data storage, so don't use one. If you don't have room to put a second drive inside your machine's case, you really need a different case for your NAS.

You're also seeing messages that that external drive has bad sectors--yet another reason not to use it.