TrueNAS SCALE Announcement and Nightly Image Downloads

jnickel

Cadet
After getting it installed, everything just seems to work. Built my ZFS out of my 6 disk RAIDZ2 vDevs and presented it as iSCSI using the Wizard to VMware. I even pushed those other disks back in and extended the ZFS with an additional 6 disk vDev. All working. Interface looks pretty much the same as the TrueNAS one. I did have to remember to start the service for iSCSI as the wizard didn't start that for me, but otherwise - really nice! Performance seems very similar to TrueNAS - at least over iSCSI.

g3n3r1cl10n

Cadet
I tried SCALE yesterday, also the latest nightly. The installation process goes well but if i try to boot the system, it just hangs on "loading initial ramdisk".
The system boots fine in recovery mode. Any suggestions? I did also open a bug report on jira but i don´t know if i did it right.

g3n3r1cl10n

Cadet
Ah i forgot, Hardware is:

ASUS Z10PA-D8
2x Intel Xeon E5-2630V3
72GB DDR4 2400 ECC RDIMM

The Disks are a Bunch of SAS and SATA HDDS and SSDs on an LSI 3008 SAS Controller.

Freenas and Truenas core work well on the system, but as mentioned, SCALE boots only in recovery.

marshalleq

Explorer
Seems like docker just got broken too, no longer loads in the GUI and console says the docker daemon isn't running.... still investigating in case it's something I did, but can't think of anything yet...

ornias

Wizard
Seems like docker just got broken too, no longer loads in the GUI and console says the docker daemon isn't running.... still investigating in case it's something I did, but can't think of anything yet...
These posts are from ages ago by now and you didn't even specifiy if you where running master or nightlies.
If you're running nightlies: Things are known to break from time to time.

marshalleq

Explorer
Didn't realise there was a time limit on this thread - and it does seem to be the place for general comments. You'll notice I didn't actually ask for any help, but it is a good way sometimes to get a general response 'oh yeah we know about that' or similar. Not everything needs to be a technical novel really IMO.

ornias

Wizard
it does seem to be the place for general comments.

Still it isn't even clear what you're commenting on: A release or a Nightly.

You'll notice I didn't actually ask for any help, but it is a good way sometimes to get a general response 'oh yeah we know about that' or similar.
The reason I asked what you where running, is because your response is basically missing such vital information that it's basically like someone started talking about their dog. No on can even repond to your comment when you don't say what version you're running.

marshalleq

Explorer
OK, it is a trueness scale nightly downloads thread though. But all good - I'm not trying to make waves, I'm sorry to have upset you.

ornias

Wizard
OK, it is a trueness scale nightly downloads thread though. But all good - I'm not trying to make waves, I'm sorry to have upset you.
You didn't upset me :P

And trust me: Just because people comment on a nightly announcement, doesn't mean they are actually using a nightly.

mabearce1

Dabbler
How can I switch my train to nightlies? I want to try a newer version but am unable to. When I download the update iso to upload it fails every time

ornias

Wizard
How can I switch my train to nightlies? I want to try a newer version but am unable to. When I download the update iso to upload it fails every time
You should not be using nightlies. (also taking into account your noob questions elsewhere on the forums)
Unless you want to test things and accept that things break all the time.
Just use the ALPHA and (soon to be released: beta)

For you, as a beginner, there is nothing to gain and much to loose by using Nightly.

marshalleq

Explorer
Answering the actual question, and in the spirit of learning and making your own choices (I mean you are running an alpha after all), you can download the update file in the location listed here, go to system settings, update, install manual update and point at the file you downloaded. After that reboot. From there you will be on the nightly train and updates will come through thick and fast.

You will need to choose a storage location that the update get's uploaded to first. I just use memory because I've got heaps, probably still works on a lower specced machine.

However as an aside, there hasn't been anything obvious that I've seen that requires you to run nightly, unless maybe if you plan to use docker. This is because presently you cannot edit your docker settings via the GUI unless you upgrade to nightly. It's possible this fix has been added to the alpha but I'm not aware of it - someone may correct me.

And finally there's no such thing as a dumb question, so please don't be scared to ask or start a new thread. I'm learning too!

Good luck!

Marshalleq

ornias

Wizard
However as an aside, there hasn't been anything obvious that I've seen that requires you to run nightly, unless maybe if you plan to use docker. This is because presently you cannot edit your docker settings via the GUI unless you upgrade to nightly. It's possible this fix has been added to the alpha but I'm not aware of it - someone may correct me.
On the other hand there are other Apps/Docker related things that are currently breaking (or just fixed) on nightly... So it depends a bit...
That being said: Next release is pretty close, so if you can wait a few weeks I highily suggest doing so.