TrueNAS Scale and Virtual Machine

MSBV

Cadet
Hello everyone,
Just started with TrueNAS Scale, had experience with FreeNAS and TrueNAS Core before.

I want to know a few things regarding the VMs:
1. How can I pass a local share to the VM, I want read and write to a specific folder.
2. How can I capture the VM's Image and deploy it to real hardware later? In windows what I did up to now was capturing the WIM, and installing with it on new machines, can I do this with TrueNAS Scale as well?

Thanks

jeremyoha450

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
Just started with TrueNAS Scale, had experience with FreeNAS and TrueNAS Core before.

I want to know a few things regarding the VMs:
1. How can I pass a local share to the VM, I want read and write to a specific folder.
2. How can I capture the VM's Image and deploy it to real hardware later? In windows what I did up to now was capturing the WIM, and installing with it on new machines, can I do this with TrueNAS Scale as well?

Thanks
Hey MSBV

answers to your questions
1. Not possible (been down this road myself, network share is the only way)
2. Try using clonezila. i used it when moving from Hyperv to KVM and no drama's (but using the WIM solution should work as well)

MSBV

Cadet
Hey and thanks for your reply.
How are you capturing the image then? to an external disk?

jeremyoha450

Dabbler
Clonezila lets you save to another disk, USB, a network share, etc. and then you can pull it the same way. or even a direct transfer. look it up

MSBV

Cadet
I meant how do you connect that resource to the virtual machine for capture?