TrueNAS installer does not present drives to install on

gilljr

Cadet
Hardware
SAS2008 Controller (IT) Mode
Kingston A400 SSD (new)
Dell R610

I have used FreeNAS for many years including on the controller that I have moved to this server. Here is what I see.
The drive and controller show in the bios/post. When the installer boots, (legacy or UEFI) it shows the drive as 'da0' but when I select the install/upgrade option, there are zero drives to install on. I have flashed the card to the latest greatest firmware it can accept along with the boot rom for legacy and UEFI.

Any ideas on how to get the new SSD visible for installation. I am confused on what would make it visible to the installer as it loads but not allow it to populate in the install option. I believe the installer is the 12 U6 version.

Gilbert

gilljr

Cadet
controller firmware version 20.00.07.00-IT
The drive shows as ATA Kingston SA400S3 0105 when running dmesg (da0 if all drives but it are removed and da5 with the other 5 drives installed). I have used gpart to create a GPT style SLICE. I have also tried without a GPT style SLICE. This is a new issue for me.

kiriak

Contributor
Having a similar issue, it worked for me after formatting the drive to sth (FAT if I remember well).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'd try running DBAN on the drive, probably just whatever the option is to do the quick smash of the MBR/partition table.

gilljr

Cadet
Having a similar issue, it worked for me after formatting the drive to sth (FAT if I remember well).

sth? I have not tried to format the drive FAT or create a small partition (16GB). I did not understand what you were saying. I am up to trying anything before I give up on this and go a different path. I have used this controller before in an instance of FreeNAS 10.x and have experience installing multiple times.

gilljr

Cadet
I'd try running DBAN on the drive, probably just whatever the option is to do the quick smash of the MBR/partition table.

I ran DBAN but still am not getting anywhere. Thank you for the suggestion, but I am still stuck.

kiriak

Contributor
sth? I have not tried to format the drive FAT or create a small partition (16GB). I did not understand what you were saying. I am up to trying anything before I give up on this and go a different path. I have used this controller before in an instance of FreeNAS 10.x and have experience installing multiple times.

I was saying to format the drive, use fat or ext,
I don't know if it will work but it costs nothing.

gilljr

Cadet
I was saying to format the drive, use fat or ext,
I don't know if it will work but it costs nothing.
I tried but got nowhere. I will try something else later. Thank you for attempting to help. I am sure it is simple, I just don't know what it is.