truenas crashing when in use

tursiops

Dabbler
are they in slots A1/B1 (the blue slots)? ..or try with just 1 stick in A1 ..if no go .. try the other stick in A1.

..also, make sure you have the memory all the way "clicked" in ..

When you get it to boot, grab the latest BIOS update and BMC update ..
..and technically you don't need it to boot as you can update through BMC features
Yes that's what i tried, but getting the same error message.
If i wait a few seconds more i get a 61 message, which is reset bios, so i remove the battery and putting in again but same thing
Should i get one of the recommended memory? https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U2-2T#Memory

Thank you.

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
the board only does 1.2v on memory .. so keep that in mind... and did you short out the CMOS "pad" after pulling the battery?

Always good to go with recommended QVL RAM on servers .. I didn't though and even run 2 pairs of different ECC UDIMM's .. some Micron low profile 2666 stuff mixed with some regular height Nemix 3200 stuff.. both sets run at 1.2v's though.

Did you update the BIOS/BMC yet?

ipmi maintenance.png

ThreeDee

Guru
I had an issue when first setting up my board .. system wouldn't boot with both sticks of the Nemix RAM installed .. tried 1 stick .. no go .. tried the other .. and it booted. Updated BIOS and BMC .. via IPMI .. and then both sticks worked all of a sudden. I tried every slot, reinserting many times thinking maybe I didn't have it seated properly ... even setup an RMA for the Nemix while I waiting for the new RAM set to arrive .. but all 4 sticks worked without issue so kept all of it ..

tursiops

Dabbler
the board only does 1.2v on memory .. so keep that in mind... and did you short out the CMOS "pad" after pulling the battery?

Always good to go with recommended QVL RAM on servers .. I didn't though and even run 2 pairs of different ECC UDIMM's .. some Micron low profile 2666 stuff mixed with some regular height Nemix 3200 stuff.. both sets run at 1.2v's though.

Did you update the BIOS/BMC yet?

View attachment 47348
Yes i just tried it again, both sticks, on A1 the blue port. i've checked it's correctly clicked and seated.
I've connected the network to the monitoring port and it doesn't get any dhcp ip, it just blinks, that's all.
If i wait even longer after the code 61, the computer just reboots itself.
And yes i've shorted the cmos as well as removing the battery.

Another weird thing is that only the cpu fan is spinning, all the case fans are not spinning. They are connected correctly, even tried different connectors.

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
have you tried booting the motherboard outside the case on a non-conductive surface?

ThreeDee

Guru
Do you know what BIOS revision came with your motherboard? Should be good to go with v3.10 or newer with your 3600 (I'm assuming that's the CPU you are using)

tursiops

Dabbler
have you tried booting the motherboard outside the case on a non-conductive surface?
No i haven't tried it. Should i first try to unplug everything and turn it on? What is the least possible amount of hardware that i can plug it to check?
Also it would be very difficult for me to test it outside, because i would have to unmount my psu and remove all the cable, so i'm not ready to do that yet...
Concerning the BIOS it doesn't specify what version it is because i cannot boot it.

ThreeDee

Guru
sometimes they come with a sticker on the box and or motherboard indicating BIOS revision.

You only need the CPU and one stick of ram and nothing else plugged into the board aside from both power leads from your PSU

You "should" be able to access the IPMI dashboard via the Realtek dedicated NIC and it will tell you BIOS/BMC versions ..setup doesn't need to be running to do so

dashbaord ipmi.png

tursiops

Dabbler
Hello, Here is a picture of my system so you can have a look if you notice anything out of place. I will need to change my cpu cooler because it covers one ram slot, but otherwise nothing really jumps at me.

Attachments

• IMG_20210526_200442.jpg
    IMG_20210526_200442.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20210526_200512.jpg
    IMG_20210526_200512.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 144

ThreeDee

Guru
What's the video card for? The square Wraith cooler gives you room for that closest memory slot (at least on the X470D4U anyways).

tursiops

Dabbler
What's the video card for? The square Wraith cooler gives you room for that closest memory slot (at least on the X470D4U anyways).
The video card is just an asus i found, nothing fancy just enough to output a video signal ;)
I changed the cpu cooler, same error message, now i'm waiting for an ECC memory stick and i'll see if this solves the issue.

ThreeDee

Guru
you do know that you don't need a video card .. the onboard VGA out is controlled by the ASPEED AST2500 for video output.. comes with 256mb of DDR4 VRAM

ThreeDee

Guru
any updates?

tursiops

Dabbler
any updates?
Yes I have received the memory and it's the same. Same error message.
I have removed everything, all hard drives, all m.2, and the graphic's card, but get the same error.
So i'm going to ask help from friends and people around me to help solve it, i cannot afford to purchase a remplacement for every component.

ThreeDee

Guru
seeing how it's a memory related error .. and the integrated memory controller is on the CPU .. have you tried reseating the CPU (inspect for bent pins) .. or if you have access to another Ryzen CPU amongst your friends to test with ...

Contact ASRock support as well .. maybe you just got a board with a bad BIOS chip or the like .. :frown:

tursiops

Dabbler
seeing how it's a memory related error .. and the integrated memory controller is on the CPU .. have you tried reseating the CPU (inspect for bent pins) .. or if you have access to another Ryzen CPU amongst your friends to test with ...

Contact ASRock support as well .. maybe you just got a board with a bad BIOS chip or the like .. :frown:
Yes that's what i'm going to do, thanks for all the help !