TrueNAS Core will not accept backup config file from FreeNAS-11.3-U3.1

HeloJunkie

Patron
So my amazing FreeNAS 11.3-U3.1 server was showing its age, so I built a new server, installed TrueNAS Core on it, and attempted to load the backup config file from my FreeNAS 11.3. I do not have any encryption or anything, and the new TrueNAS give me a message that all passwords will be reset, and then it reboots but never applies the old config file.

It seems pretty straightforward, save the backup config file and then apply that backup config file to the new server, but alas, it won't take it and I don't see any alerts that lead me in any direction other than to simply try again.

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I don't have to rebuild all the configs from scratch. I still have the other server available, just powered off.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Try reinstalling with 12.0-U8.1, and then applying the saved config. Afterwards, you can upgrade to 13.0-U1.1.

HeloJunkie

Patron
Thank you @Samuel Tai

I think I will just reset it up from scratch. Downgrading to apply a config to upgrade just does not seem like a smart option. Is there some reason the config file update does not work with no log entries or failure messages?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Typically, you can only apply configs from the immediately preceding version.

HeloJunkie

Patron
Understood, I must have missed that in the documentation. Thank you for pointing it out.