TrueNAS Core Only Cold Boots- Does Not Survive a Restart

Dopamin3

Dabbler
If I power on my system from a powered off state, it works fine. If the system is running and I try to reboot it- regardless of through the webui or a simple reboot ssh command, the system does not come back online.

It's sitting on a screen that just spams "waiting for da da" over and over and over again. Once I power the system off, turn it back on, the system boots and works great.

Full specs of the system are in my signature, but I'll post them here too:

Ryzen 2700X | AsRock X370 Taichi (BIOS 6.40) | 4 x 32GB Nemix Unbuffered ECC 2666MHz | Visiontek HD 5450 1GB | Chelsio T520-SO-CR 10GbE NIC | Samsung MZVLW128HEGR-00000 NVME Boot Drive | zpool tank: 7x Toshiba X300 5TB and 3x Toshiba MG04ACA600E 6TB in RAIDZ3 | zpool crucial: 2x Crucial MX500 2TB SSD in RAIDZ1 | LSI 9201-16i IT Mode HBA | SuperMicro 933T-R760B 3U 15 Bay w/ Triple PSU | TrueNAS Core 13.0-U4

I think if it's waiting for da da, that means my LSI HBA didn't initialize properly? Maybe I need to change a BIOS setting or something? All my hard drives and two ssds are devices da0 - da11. Any input would be appreciated.

Dopamin3

Dabbler
Bumping this for visibility and any input. Issue actually happened again after rebooting going from 13.0-U4 to 13.0-U5, after a power off and power back on I was back up and running.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There have been some reports of issues with some Ryzen boards. Apparently AMD has used their own design for an AHCI controller and there have been some reports of weird stuff apparently related to it. If you have the possibility of disabling it (in the BIOS, by jumper, whatever) I suggest trying that. Otherwise you will need to be a bit more specific about where exactly it is hanging.

Dopamin3

Dabbler
There have been some reports of issues with some Ryzen boards. Apparently AMD has used their own design for an AHCI controller and there have been some reports of weird stuff apparently related to it. If you have the possibility of disabling it (in the BIOS, by jumper, whatever) I suggest trying that. Otherwise you will need to be a bit more specific about where exactly it is hanging.
I have the SATA ports disabled in BIOS, but I'm not sure if AHCI is on or not. The NVME boot drive is the only thing connected directly to the motherboard which is my boot drive. All other HDDs/SSDs in my zpools are connected to the LSI 9201-16i in IT Mode. Only thing I haven't tried is updating the BIOS, I'm on 6.40 and latest is 7.10. I think AHCI would have to be enabled in order for the NVME boot drive to be detected?

Really stupid question but what do I look at to see the full boot log so maybe I can post it here next time this happens. Is it just something in /var/log?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The kernel's dmesg service can be accessed via the "dmesg" command. At boot time, this is cached in /var/run/dmesg.boot