TrueNAS Core on VM with host RAID controller

pwojda

Cadet
Hi,

I've got DELL PowerEdge R430 with H700 RAID controller and 2 VMs. I'd like to backup VM1 to TrueNAS on VM2. Since, it is not possible to run TrueNAS on RAID controller will it work if TrueNAS is installed in VM?

Regards,
Przemek

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
it is not possible to run TrueNAS on RAID controller
I'm not clear on why you think it won't run, but here are the reasons you shouldn't do that: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...s-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.81931/

If you don't actually care about the data (maybe a reasonable assumption since you're proposing to back up the data to another VM on the same host, which doesn't really account for many situations that would help protect your data), you can ignore all the warnings and do whatever you want with the server you have. Be prepared to lose the data if a RAID controller is in the mix at all.

pwojda

Cadet
Thank you. This isn't the only NAS I plan to have, the other will be in distanced location where I want to ftp or sync data to. However, in the host location, I've got only one physical machine thus idea for running it in VM.

I understand that even with VM it is highly not recommended - is that right?

sretalla