TrueNAS Core latest update constantly crashes on HP EliteDesktop

jinlsui

Dabbler
I have been running a home NAS with FreeNAS/TrueNAS for more than 5 years. But recently, I have experienced constant crashes with the recent TrueNAS Core update (13-U6.1), probably starting from an earlier release. It crashed every few hours on a NAS built on HP EliteDesk 800 G2 mini (i5-5600T with 16GB RAM, RAM passed bios check). I managed to install it (13-U6.1) on another HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF (i5-5600, 32 GB RAM, passed bio check), and it happened again. Out of curiosity, I installed the older version (13-U2.0) on both of them, and they have been running for over a day now without crashing.

I do have another built with 13-U6.1 on another PC with i3 on a non-brand desktop body, and it runs well. I will test further on the HP EliteDesk with TrueNAS releases between U2 and U6 to see exactly where it started. I wonder if this is a reported known issue and if there are ways to get around it.

oxyde

Contributor
Hi, i have experienced something similar to you after the update from prevoius version to last one during long file transfer via SMB... System crash and rebooting without log anything.
In my case, was related to onboard Realtek LAN driver, changed to an Intel dedicated NIC fix everything.
Maybe you can try to find something in the log
cat /var/log/messages.
As was suggested to me

jinlsui

Dabbler
Hi, thanks for sharing your experiences. I read somewhere in the community that sometimes the NIC plays a critical role in system stability. I just hope that I do not have to that route. On the one hand, this mini PC has no room for any added NIC card; on the other hand, this unit has been working reliably with me with earlier TrueNAS and FrenNAS releases for quite some years. If the newer releases make it unreliable, it should be considered as some kind of bug and therefore should be fixed, if NIC is identified as the cause of it.

oxyde

Contributor
Maybe your case is different, but is strange that both PC (i assume they have same or similar mainboard) have the same issue.
You can simply continue using older version until something change.
Hope u Will resolve soon, or someone else can help you Better!

jinlsui

Dabbler
I think both PCs have very similar configurations, are produced at the same time, have very similar price ranges, and are targeted at the same user population. But they are not identical. From what I can tell, the mini PC version has laptop SIMs, while the SFF PC has full-size DDR3 SIMs. I would assume that they have the same components for Ethernet ports. I agree that I just have to find the stable release and stick with them until this is fixed at some point down the road. Right now, I have been running TrueNAS-13.0-U2, for almost a week, and they haven't crashed yet.

I hope this report will help someone who runs into similar problems.

jinlsui

Dabbler
After running 13.0-U2 for a few weeks without a crash, and once shuffling my ethernet cable around the router lately, the crash happened again. Now I have started to think that all my earlier suggestions may not hold much truth anymore.

Please someone take a look at this case and help me with it.