TrueNAS Core - Connecting to TrueNAS...Make sure the TrueNAS...

mastropizza

Cadet
Hi,
i'm working with the latest version of TrueNAS Core (checked 3 days ago): suddenly i got the following message on web UI
"Connecting to TrueNAS...Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network".
I've tried many times to reboot: nothing to do
Console does not state any evident errors
My network computers may access both SMB and iSCSI shares on that NAS system...so it seems is a web UI problem only.
Surfing the web i've found out similar problem: i've then tried to execute commands like
service middlewared restart (no output errors)
and
service nginx restart (ngix does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup directories (....), or is not executable)

Any idea?
Thx
Mastropizza

pschatz100

Guru
You need to provide your system specs or else it will be impossible to comment. Take a moment to read the Forum Rules at the top of the page.

mastropizza

Cadet
oooppps.....apologies.
I'm working with a quite old HP Micro N36L...i know that i'm out of min req (i'm only sure it has 3GB RAM) but i need of iSCSI service only, nothing more. It worked flawlessly for several weeks.
Thanks for your support

jgreco

Resident Grinch
64GB is the general lower limit for iSCSI, though 32GB or even 16GB *might* work for very light duty needs.

Discussed in

In general, iSCSI is more stressful on the system than file level sharing protocols like SMB

Discussed in

out of min req (i'm only sure it has 3GB RAM)

The minimum memory requirement, per the downloads page, is 16GB. 3GB won't work even for basic filesharing operations, you will run out of memory and the middleware/web UI will crash. 8GB might work for very basic light duty NFS or SMB operations, but it is not going to work well for iSCSI.

The N36L can unofficially support 16GB of RAM, so my suggestion is to ditch the iSCSI, switch to SMB, upgrade to 16GB RAM, and move on with your life.