TrueNAS Core 12.0 Nightly Snapshots Available

Stilez

Guru
That’s my understanding, yes. Bug fixes come with the next release point. I’m obviously just reading the tea leaves here. From what I can see on the public download server, nightlies are on the “bleeding edge”, currently 12.1, and everything else is receiving public releases. Ux or with 12.0, RC1 next, then release in October.
NAS-107289 requesting nightly builds of 12.0 for bughunt purposes.

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
Response to Jira ticket is confusing as stated.
I was running my backup system on Nightly and as I wasn't getting any updates, I dug up on the forum for answers. I also found out it is possible to switch to BETA from Nightly via CLI without the need to revert to the boot environement prior to Nightly.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/no-update-from-12-0-nightlies-to-beta.85908/

So I think running Nightlies regularly shouldn't be that difficult.

Yorick

Wizard
I also found out it is possible to switch to BETA from Nightly via CLI

Possible but not supportable. The nature of nightlies is that they are very, very lightly tested. Things may be in such a state that moving to Beta just won't work from there. My crystal ball tells me that this is why moving from nightly to beta/release is not supported.

Personally, I'd rather see the occasional bug slip through to one release after target, than have the forums full of people who went to a nightly in order to fix a bug and then all hell broke loose on them.

If you think "but there is a clear warning", read the forums around the release of 12.0-Nightly. Several people who needed to be walked through boot environments because they did not, actually, comprehend that "Nightly" means "this will most likely break on you in new and interesting ways". People don't read warning prompts, as a rule.

Stilez

Guru
True.

So.why are nightlies any more ok so they can be provided any other times? I'd have thought that logic would apply or not, equally, to.all nightlies, of all builds and types, at any times..?

flatline69

Dabbler
I also am on nightly and would like to go to 21.06 but I stopped updating nightlies a few days ago as my docker issue was resolved with it so I'm hoping it's "old enough" to update to 21.06 BETA over top of it. Is there somewhere to download the beta tarball and update overtop of it? All I can find is nightlies and snapshots. I'm on TrueNAS-SCALE-21.06-MASTER-20210618-172919

ornias

Wizard
I also am on nightly and would like to go to 21.06 but I stopped updating nightlies a few days ago as my docker issue was resolved with it so I'm hoping it's "old enough" to update to 21.06 BETA over top of it. Is there somewhere to download the beta tarball and update overtop of it? All I can find is nightlies and snapshots. I'm on TrueNAS-SCALE-21.06-MASTER-20210618-172919
Nightlies are not officially supported to be updated to BETA.

flatline69

Dabbler