TrueNAS 13.3 Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
SCALE already builds samba WITH_SPOTLIGHT and elasticsearch backend.
Then just do the same for core and I will create a guide for Elastic in a jail. I have the guy who wrote the Elastic integration for the Neos CMS/framework at the next desk. :smile:

Will there be some special configuration needed on the Samba side?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Then just do the same for core and I will create a guide for Elastic in a jail. I have the guy who wrote the Elastic integration for the Neos CMS/framework at the next desk. :smile:

Will there be some special configuration needed on the Samba side?
To be clear, enabling this means hacking up your local samba config, highly likely it breaks with the UI in either edition. We'd recommend avoiding it unless you are doing development work, in which case you should know how to do any compiles and such already :)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I am definitely more of a systems integrator/engineer than a developer type of guy. So hacking configurations - no problem. Integrating a specially compiled Samba version into an existing TrueNAS ... well, no, unless I am forced to.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
We're at the developer stage for SMB Search solutions....SCALE is a better platform for developers to work with these Search solutions. Anyone that wants to contribute should connect via the Discord channel.

Last edited:

nasbdh9

Dabbler
NVMe namespaces create a new problem which is multiple "drives" failing simultaneously and requires system knowledge to be able to ensure redundancy is adequate. Its quite a large job to make it work well and reliably.
I agree with this, maybe we can first provide the most basic nvme namespace management in webui (the number of namespaces supported by the nvme driver, the number and capacity of the drive's namespaces, and simple addition, deletion, and formatting of namespaces) , and add relevant warning prompts to tell people to know what they are doing, and then the functions can be improved based on user reports.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. Summarizing what we have worked through... this is the primary list of changes that will be targeted for TrueNAS CORE 13.3

1710367057854.png

Most of the other suggestions are candidates for future work, but are likely to be included in TrueNAS SCALE 1st. Dragonfish has most of these above functions (except FreeBSD specific) and is expected to go to RC1 next week.

We still have another 4-6 weeks of CORE 13.3 development period left. Developers are welcome to contribute software to TrueNAS. We'll start another thread about how best to do this.

Last edited:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Created a new thread so we can pick up where this has left off for anybody who wants to get involved with the "Open Source" aspects of TrueNAS, I.E. contributing.

Status
Not open for further replies.