TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 config backup is broken

dropio

Dabbler
Hello, I am in big trouble,

I have upgraded my TrueNAS 12 (Bare Metal, Intel, 2x 3TB Raid 1) to the latest
TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 and everything went fine. No problems. Then I backed up the current configuration including the secrets.

Then another update for TrueNAS 2022 was displayed, which I did immediately. But it was only after the "update" had gone through that I discovered that all my GELI-encrypted devices were gone, because 2022 was not a CORE update, but a migration to TrueNAS Scale, which does not support GELI. Only then did I realize that I had made a big mistake. Some kind of warning before the migration would have been nice.

But after the initial shock, I calmed down about backing up the configuration. So I built a new drive in the server and installed TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 from scratch. No problems here, everything looked fine (without the GELI drives of course). But after I uploaded the configuration and
no errors occurred when writing the configuration database, the user interface is broken (see screenshots). And also the GELI drives are not decrypted. Now I'm afraid for my data. Fortunately, I still have an offsite backup of my data, but hope not to need it, but that TrueNAS runs again as before.

What can I do to get the system running properly again and decrypt the drives?

Thanks guys

1703322056017.png

1703322273005.png

1703322742868.png

Last edited:
Then another update for TrueNAS 2022 was displayed, which I did immediately. But it was only after the "update" had gone through that I discovered that all my GELI-encrypted devices were gone, because 2022 was not a CORE update, but a migration to TrueNAS Scale, which does not support GELI. Only then did I realize that I had made a big mistake. Some kind of warning before the migration would have been nice.
How on earth did that happen?

A standard update check (within the TrueNAS Core 13.x train) recommended and upsidegraded to SCALE?

But after I uploaded the configuration and
no errors occurred when writing the configuration database, the user interface is broken (see screenshots)
Did you try clearing your web browser's cache?

And also the GELI drives are not decrypted.
Did you try importing the data pool and choosing "Legacy encryption" before selecting the relevant drives? (You might have to first export the "phantom" pool.)

dropio

Dabbler
Hi, and thank you for your time.

How on earth did that happen?

A standard update check (within the TrueNAS Core 13.x train) recommended and upsidegraded to SCALE?

First. I was realy tired. just want to finsh the update (the first, good one) and then go to bed. After the update, the next update options in the drop down appears.. and because I had only one eye left open see .. ahh.. yea.. more updates after the update (as you often have in Windows). And pressed go. What a mess. But besides my stupidness, it would be nice to remember the user that the system is switching its foundations.

But in the end, I just start with the old installation of Core and the most things are fine.

Did you try clearing your web browser's cache?

Yes sure. But nothing changed. The same happend as a put the backup into a fresh installation of TrueNAS 12 on another drive.

Did you try importing the data pool and choosing "Legacy encryption" before selecting the relevant drives? (You might have to first export the "phantom" pool.)
I dont know why, but on the terminal I can use the encryped pool.

Sadly I have to say, I quited TrueNAS for me, after 4 years working with it. But I do not have trust in the system any more.

joeschmuck

Old Man
After the update, the next update options in the drop down appears.
Yea, sounds like you switched trains from CORE to SCALE. Do not work when you are tired.

What about something like this?

If I'm reading the screenshot correctly, they're currently on the Core 13.x train, yet the update will switch to SCALE?